Bicycles on the one way mountain

La Colombe

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it bloody-mindedness and a determination to exercise their legal right to use the mountain road, particularly during T.T. ? Most cyclists get it of course and use common sense and discretion, but there is a small minority who subscribe to that new lycra machismo and 'fuck you' attitude to other road users. Also, the mountain road is a key training route for some road cyclists and they ain't going to compromise or 'move over' for those lesser riders who need an engine to get over the mountain. Not anytime.  

Only in the iom do the police warn cyclists not to use the mountain road as it's a bit stupid, yet they are more than happy to let motorbikes and cars travel over it in excess of 120mph. Where is the logic? 

1 minute ago, Gizo said:

Only in the iom do the police warn cyclists not to use the mountain road as it's a bit stupid, yet they are more than happy to let motorbikes and cars travel over it in excess of 120mph. Where is the logic? 

The logic is pretty much that if they don't let them do it they'll be doing 120 mph everywhere else and risking creating even more accidents and hitting people head on as half of them are foreign and not used to riding on the left. It would appear to make sense to make it one way so people can let off steam and use the other side of the road. After all they were lured here under false pretenses, generated from government advertising we paid for, which suggested that we welcome speed and that this is the ultimate biking festival etc, etc, etc. 

3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

It's sad that the police have to put in writing what should be common sense. 

True. But it's also sad that the police have to put in writing that they can't keep the roads safe.

Whether that's their ineffectiveness or political pressure to turn a blind eye is up for debate (although they don't particularly police the roads that well the rest of the year).

However, I'll take their (sound) advice and go off-road for the next fortnight. 

Whilst the IOM has always produced very good cyclists - I wonder if Mark Cavendish is aware that his success has single handedly produced a wave of arrogant ignorant fucktards with zero road or common sense - there is a strain of militant cyclists who absolutely boil my piss and defend it to the point of ignorance and arrogance whilst failing to acknowledge the number of road closures that sensible non leg shaving, traffic hindering citizens are forced tolerate for their hobby.....

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

The police don't make the law, they just enforce it. So as our legislators refuse to think about speed limits, they're doing what they can to keep the body count down. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Whilst the IOM has always produced a very good TT event - I wonder if Agostini is aware that his success has produced a wave of arrogant ignorant fucktards with zero road or common sense - there is a strain of militant MFers who absolutely boil my piss and defend it to the point of ignorance and arrogance whilst failing to acknowledge the number of road closures that sensible non leather wearing, traffic hindering citizens are forced tolerate for their hobby.....

Fixed.

6 hours ago, Darwin Awards said:

The overwhelming arrogance of the Lycra clad numbskulls never fails to amaze me.  

Yes it's your right to ride the roads, though you should be paying Road Tax to use them.

But we all have rights that at times could put ourselves and others at risks, and most people choose not to exercise those rights in the name of safety.

Why should cyclists pay road tax?

Archived