Bicycles on the one way mountain

La Colombe

Most insurance policies don't cover track days, even though 'racing' is prohibited by organisers.

However, re the OP, there's a post on FB to say it's a group of mountain bikers planning to go off road. Maybe someone's securely grasped the wrong end of the stick, although I haven't seen confirmation of this post.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

I wonder what the ramifications for third party insurance are in light of the police advice to cyclists? For instance, if a lunatic on a motorcycle were to plough into the back of a law abiding cyclist on, say, a blind bend, would the police's position have any effect on an insurance liability? Could the lunatic's insurance company use the police's advice to absolve themselves from liability? 

High time push bikes had 3rd party insurance then, plus reg plates

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Most insurance policies don't come with speed limits so as long as you are not officially racing...

So if I rang up my insurance company to confirm that I was covered to ride at 180mph on a busy public road where I know there will be many other road users including vans, cars and cyclists they would say crack on as long as your not racing?

14 minutes ago, j2bad said:

So if I rang up my insurance company to confirm that I was covered to ride at 180mph on a busy public road where I know there will be many other road users including vans, cars and cyclists they would say crack on as long as your not racing?

Nowhere on the forms does it ask what speeds you are likely to be doing. Insurance companies are well aware of potential speeds bikes can do. If they were that worried there would be a caveat stating any speeds over 60mph would nullify the policy. Guess what though, they don't...

As the trolls know full well this isn't a stand by militant cyclists, nor Bobby is it local mountain bikers.

Its one young girl. She is the daughter of a well known racer and is doing a sponsored cycle to raise money for the injured riders fund.

She has advertised her event on Facebook and is also taking buckets around the paddock etc. Go to the TT FB pages and you will find her details if you want to contribute.

3FM set off with a half cocked story as they used the lazy journalist method of relying on the police FB page for their news story. Hence the story basically trots out the police post which didn't mention the details.

Quite separately, the Manx Mountain Bike Club posted to its FB followers that they should get out into the hills which were no longer dry and dusty following the recent rain.

It appears that everyone is putting the two items together in some sort of anti cycling/anti TT rant which sadly is the norm on here.

BTW she is not actually cycling on the mountain road but has made the climb offroad through fields.

4 hours ago, Butterflies said:

Why is it made one-way for TT then, if it's just a "public road"? It *is* a racetrack, like it or not. The bikers are here to watch the races and also to ride the racetrack themselves. 

But not to pay for it

4 hours ago, La Colombe said:

If it's a racetrack, how come bicycles and other slow moving traffic are legally allowed to use it?

And what about slower motor bikes, or will there be a minimum performance level for a motorcycle to be allowed to go on the road?

4 hours ago, Butterflies said:

Why is it made one-way for TT then, if it's just a "public road"? It *is* a racetrack, like it or not. The bikers are here to watch the races and also to ride the racetrack themselves. 

It was made one way due to the number of head on collisions that were occurring.  That's it nothing more nothing less. 

Archived