How do you live without a god?

La Colombe

18 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

I don't recognise that.  Most simply ask for evidence that it does exist, or ask why its existence is important or relevant to human affairs.  That's not narcissist it is purely practical - how does knowledge there is a god of some form help me live my life. 

If you can live without god, you could live without constantly ragging on about god. Apparently not though. Even in your rejection and constant evangelising of atheism you are living technically in a state of being in a form of "communion" with god on a psychological level. A book about living without God written by people who apparently can't accept life without god without feeling the need to evangelise. It points to an uncertainty in themselves if you ask me.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not just accept that we are not in possession of anything like enough information to address the issue? We don't even understand the nature of our own existence and neither do the most intelligent minds humanity has produced past or present. It's beyond us.

False equivalence is a logical fallacy in which two opposing arguments appear to be logically equivalent when in fact they are not. This fallacy is categorized as a fallacy of inconsistency.

Anti-theists don't preach, and are not obsessed with disproving the existence of a god, yours or anyone elses, what anti-theists are obliged to do is challenge the theists who have a fundamentalist authoritiarian political agenda that intends to force their concept of god on the unbeliever. If the god believers would just stay out of politics then the rest of us godless would be free to enjoy the show they put on.

I have no god, no religion, and so long as your belief is contained inside your own skull and has no impact on my life, enjoy, knock yourself out, kneel down, lay down, pray, gibber in tongues, frolilc naked in the moonlight, tap tables, dress up in embroidered silks and taffita, wear a big pointy hat, have yourself carried around in a chair by a group of fit young men, as the Lady Melisandre (a fictional character) is quoted as saying, 'Your god is real or it is not' and neither you or anyone else has managed to prove it one way or the other. Frankly, I couldn't care less about your 'god' whatever you fondly imagine or have been told your god is. I do however care quite a bit about the religions that are wrapped around those gods. I really would like to see the back of those and their gods too.

7 minutes ago, NoTail said:

So why do you believe in the God you believe In? 

It would take a whole essay to answer that. Certainly not any evidence that would satisfy an atheist fundamentalist. More importantly, it's a belief in the spirituality of life and that we each have a spiritual core.

11 minutes ago, llap said:

To be clear, the "God" I believe in is not a god like that of the major religions. I don't think there's an invisible man in the sky or in Jesus or the Bible or any of that crap.

whocaresk.jpg

3 minutes ago, llap said:

It would take a whole essay to answer that. Certainly not any evidence that would satisfy an atheist fundamentalist. More importantly, it's a belief in the spirituality of life and that we each have a spiritual core.

What is an atheist fundamentalist?  An theist simply does not believe in the existence of a God.  

I was being somwhat flippant, I liked the expression on the dogs face. So you appear to be having a hard time with the atheist fundamentals, do they come round to your house and doorstep you, have they accosted you in the street in pairs, are they trying to get you to join up in their atheist fundamentalist organisation, do tell?

There are standard atheists and then there are anti-theists. The former doesn't believe in God, which is fair Enough; the latter is a fundamental who insists on preaching atheism and shoving it down our necks the same way religionists try to ram their religion on us.

I really don't have a problem with atheist fundamentalists. I totally sympathise with them and agree with them on a lot. That said, there is something to be said for science being taken over by them and suppressing intelligent design (not creationism).

My word how terrible for you! Those anti-theists shoving their anti-theisim down your neck or is it with a bit of ramming too? Tell us who they are and we shall have words with them for you. We shall say do leave him be, he is of the spiritual persuasion and not in the slightest bit interested in anti-theisim. It must be quite distressing for you?

Archived