How do you live without a god?

La Colombe

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this god you insist exists provide any guidance to how to live your life inaccessible to a secular moral philosopher?

what does this knowledge you claim to have add to your understanding of the universe?

Being a bit geeky how does this knowledge update your Bayesian priors?

16 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Does this god you insist exists provide any guidance to how to live your life inaccessible to a secular moral philosopher?

what does this knowledge you claim to have add to your understanding of the universe?

Being a bit geeky how does this knowledge update your Bayesian priors?

How narcissistic of you to presume that a supreme being must give things to you in order for you to consider their existence. Did it occur to you that the supreme being already works through people to provide guidance and inspiration?

23 hours ago, llap said:

How narcissistic of you to presume that a supreme being must give things to you in order for you to consider their existence. Did it occur to you that the supreme being already works through people to provide guidance and inspiration?

How convenient...

No one lives without a God because He/She is not an old man in the sky but an as yet little understood force or spiritual law throughout all of creation..

Your task is to attune with the law of creation..Effectively, you do not live without a God because you are God...

I find the works of Silver Birch a pseudonym for a long since passed over spirit very self-explanatory...

The philosophy of Spiritualism is generally perceived as being encapsulated by the following Maori poem to which I attach a link...

As a Spiritualist I have long been aware of the fact that we are spirits with bodies and not bodies with spirits. I had a conversation with my own father one to one hours after he "died"...First time I have ever encountered a "ghost"...He was more shocked than me!...

Your earthly life is a school where you come to make mistakes and learn and make progress. You eliminate the imperfections...

Nothing can save you from your own actions. There is no confession. No forgiveness. You exist for ever and progress towards perfection...No one can avoid it! No religion can save you from yourself or "YOU"...

"YOU" is the alternative name for the Maori poem as linked to below:- Humanists mostly agree with the spirit of this poem...

https://forevernow.wordpress.com/mylaw/

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/oct/20/seances-and-science

'People who claim to contact the spirit world provoke extreme reactions. For some, mediums offer comfort and mystery in a dull world. For others they are fraudsters or unwitting fakes, exploiting the vulnerable and bereaved. But to a small group of psychologists, the rituals of the seance and the medium are opening up insights into the mind, shedding light on the power of suggestion and even questioning the nature of free will.'

'There's something a little ironic about his conclusion. The early spiritualists believed they were shedding light on the transition of the human spirit from the physical body to the afterlife. Wegner suggests that it's not just the distinction between mind and body that is false, but the whole concept of the "conscious" decision-making mind is just another piece of trickery played by the brain.

'And meanwhile, 150 years after Faraday showed that table tipping was hokum, we continue to frighten one another in the dark'.

'What is remarkable is that the stuff written in books 100 years ago still works,' says Richard Wiseman. 'If you think of all the technology and science and education and yet a group of people sitting in the dark can scare the living daylights out of themselves.'

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.” Attributed to Seneca.

4 minutes ago, llap said:

These pseudo-intellectuals who claim to be able to live with God sure love to go on and on about him/her. By logic, they already acknowledge that they have a god-centric worldview.

Is there an "out" missing in this sentence?

Just now, Chinahand said:

Is there an "out" missing in this sentence?

My point was that they don't live without God. They're utterly obsessed with pointing out he/she doesn't exist, which in turn means they're always talking about God. They are disproving their own claim. The evidence is that anti- theists who preach cannot live without God being a major part of their lives.

I don't recognise that.  Most simply ask for evidence that it does exist, or ask why its existence is important or relevant to human affairs.  That's not narcissist it is purely practical - how does knowledge there is a god of some form help me live my life. 

Archived