How do you live without a god?

La Colombe

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There certainly are non-believers who are a bit too evangilistic about their non-belief. It's almost like a religion for them. The world would be far better if everyone could accept that nobody knows the nature of creation or indeed what, if anything, guides us in our lives and afterwards.

24 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I suppose llap just does not like having his beliefs challenged. Given the chance I would always want to push religious types to consider their attitude. 

On the contrary, I welcome them being challenged. I buy all the atheist books. I don't like suppression in science and academia of non-atheistic inquiry.

3 minutes ago, llap said:

On the contrary, I welcome them being challenged. I buy all the atheist books. I don't like suppression in science and academia of non-atheistic inquiry.

Would you be willing to share the names of the titles of those books and give examples of the suppression of non-atheistic inquiry you have in mind?

14 minutes ago, woolley said:

There certainly are non-believers who are a bit too evangilistic about their non-belief. It's almost like a religion for them. The world would be far better if everyone could accept that nobody knows the nature of creation or indeed what, if anything, guides us in our lives and afterwards.

I quite like arguing with religious folk in almost always vain attempts to convince them there is no god and that their entire belief system is founded on myths and legends designed to keep peasants well behaved and women as second class citizens/possessions of men.  I don't stand on street corners 'ramming it down their throats' though.

I accept that I don't know, and can probably never know what started it all off, but I also accept that the big bang happened, evolution is true, and that prayer is useless - because that's the way the evidence strongly points.

5 minutes ago, newsnight said:

Would you be willing to share the names of the titles of those books and give examples of the suppression of non-atheistic inquiry you have in mind?

I have read Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett, Harris. The whole lot. As for inquiry, I refer to suppression of science and persecution of intelligent design scientists.

50 minutes ago, llap said:

There are standard atheists and then there are anti-theists. The former doesn't believe in God, which is fair Enough; the latter is a fundamental who insists on preaching atheism and shoving it down our necks the same way religionists try to ram their religion on us.

It's going to centuries of this to balance things out.

1 minute ago, llap said:

I have read Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett, Harris. The whole lot. As for inquiry, I refer to suppression of science and persecution of intelligent design scientists.

I see, but what are the titles from those authors, which of the many writings from each of them has most or least impressed you?  I understand that you have asserted that you believe anti-theists are involved in the supprestion, and now you have enlarged that to include persecution of 'intelligent' design scientists would you be so kind as to say who it is that is doing the suppression and the persecution with citable examples of that, and if possible can you identify and name the scientists who you say are being suppressed and persecuted? Thanks in anticipation.

2 minutes ago, newsnight said:

I see, but what are the titles from those authors, which of the many writings from each of them has most or least impressed you?  I understand that you have asserted that you believe anti-theists are involved in the supprestion, and now you have enlarged that to include persecution of 'intelligent' design scientists would you be so kind as to say who it is that is doing the suppression and the persecution with citable examples of that, and if possible can you identify and name the scientists who you say are being suppressed and persecuted? Thanks in anticipation.

The only one which impressed me was God is Not Great by Hitchens. The rest was garbage. As for the other matter, watch Ben Stein's documentary.

22 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I quite like arguing with religious folk in almost always vain attempts to convince them there is no god and that their entire belief system is founded on myths and legends designed to keep peasants well behaved and women as second class citizens/possessions of men.  I don't stand on street corners 'ramming it down their throats' though.

I accept that I don't know, and can probably never know what started it all off, but I also accept that the big bang happened, evolution is true, and that prayer is useless - because that's the way the evidence strongly points.

It would certainly appear that the big bang happened, but what does that tell us? What caused the big bang? I suspect that we don't even understand 1% of what there is to understand. Even what we understand of the properties of the KNOWN universe, thanks to Einstein, is totally mind boggling. What lies beyond that is quite possibly beyond our capacity to perceive.

Even what we understand of the properties of the KNOWN universe, thanks to Einstein, is totally mind boggling. What lies beyond that is quite possibly beyond our capacity to perceive.

Indeed but why is this always used by the believers to suggest something with omnipotence exists?

42 minutes ago, woolley said:

Hence why I see myself as agnostic. I don't see that as a line with Theist at one end and Atheist at the other and Agnostic halfway. I see it as a triangle. 

I'm not just agnostic to whether there is a God. I'm fairly agnostic with regard to everything from reality to time.

And Harris is pretty much my hero (he's agnostic, just still in the closet about it).

That said, I'm happy to humour the "Universe" and accept Quantum Physics for the "time" being.

15 minutes ago, llap said:

The only one which impressed me was God is Not Great by Hitchens. The rest was garbage. As for the other matter, watch Ben Stein's documentary.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ben-steins-expelled-review-michael-shermer/

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed--Ben Stein Launches a Science-free Attack on Darwin

In a new documentary film, actor, game show host and financial columnist Ben Stein falls for the pseudoscience of intelligent design

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expelled:_No_Intelligence_Allowed

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/08-04-17/

https://h2o.law.harvard.edu/cases/5153

https://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2011/06/13/rights-to-ben-stein’s-controversial-documentary-for-sale/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/six-things-ben-stein-doesnt-want-you-to-know/

and you thought one title God is Not Great was impressive but al the rest are 'garbage'.  You have cited 'Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed is described by its promoters as a controversial satirical documentary as proof of your contention that creationist scientists are being persecuted.

Well that was fun.

I will post something up on the organisations who financed that project later.

Archived