Rob callister mhk

Nomadic Raptor

the only practical way to save money at the hospital and not scale back service and treatments is to loose completely lots of the unnecessary management roles,  same for many other government departments.  we need indians and not chiefs.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

I don't expect Kate to draft a cheque for £10 million back to the Treasury, but I do expect the Department to provide details on our vision and direction to address the financial concerns within the department. 

Surely that is Malcolm Couch's job to do? He runs the DHSC and is in charge of its finances. I doubt Kate rings him up and tells him he has to spend £1m next week on new equipment every week and that's why they are over. Anyway I'd rather we overspent on healthcare than see somewhere like the DED waste millions on Vision Nine and the TT branding. If that sort of appalling wastage of money was stopped there would be more money to give to the DHSC which at least would benefit Island residents rather than be poured down the drain. 

2 hours ago, Aristotle said:

She caved in after a lot of public pressure and it wasn't her money she was putting on the plate. Hardly a difficult decision.

Beat me to the punch line there Aristo; precisely correct.

55 minutes ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

Surely that is Malcolm Couch's job to do? He runs the DHSC and is in charge of its finances. I doubt Kate rings him up and tells him he has to spend £1m next week on new equipment every week and that's why they are over. Anyway I'd rather we overspent on healthcare than see somewhere like the DED waste millions on Vision Nine and the TT branding. If that sort of appalling wastage of money was stopped there would be more money to give to the DHSC which at least would benefit Island residents rather than be poured down the drain. 

Wrong. Couch isn't in charge of policy making; that's Beecroft's responsibility and only revisions to policy will result in the fundamental savings required. Prescription charges; prescription exemptions; IVF; cosmetic surgery; bariatric surgery...and so on. Beecroft has to get a grip on which components of the current healthcare regime will be withdrawn/reduced/modified so that budgets are adhered to. Since she came into office absolutely nothing to that end has been put in place. And she hasn't been in post 6 months, it's 9 months. She was in her comfort zone sitting on the back benches sniping and looking smug, now that she has to put our money where her mouth is she's clueless. Another Manx political gobshite.

30 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Wrong. Couch isn't in charge of policy making; that's Beecroft's responsibility and only revisions to policy will result in the fundamental savings required. Prescription charges; prescription exemptions; IVF; cosmetic surgery; bariatric surgery...and so on. Beecroft has to get a grip on which components of the current healthcare regime will be withdrawn/reduced/modified so that budgets are adhered to. Since she came into office absolutely nothing to that end has been put in place. And she hasn't been in post 6 months, it's 9 months. She was in her comfort zone sitting on the back benches sniping and looking smug, now that she has to put our money where her mouth is she's clueless. Another Manx political gobshite.

Perhaps the budgets are wrong? 

The cost savings were requested / promised in January that's 6 months ago. I don't agree with you on only changes to policy will create savings. I'm sure a lot would be day to day budgetary control which Couch oversees. 

personally until they can stop the massive amount going on bank staff and locums and can get some more full time nurses and the likes budgets not coming down any time soon. Also everyone who've I've spoke to says manangemant is too top heavy. I could believe it ! That's a issue throughout government and needs to be addressed but they don't or cant !! This new accommodation block might make it more attractive to recruit but still the big issue is living costs over here in trying to recruit , again no one in power is interested in tackling it !   

21 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Taking the time to inform his constituents is no bad thing

Agreed. An MHK works for the community as a whole and so letting us know what he does for us seems a reasonable thing to do.

If you don't like blogs or F/B or Social Media or Rob C...you don't have to read it.

14 minutes ago, Phillip Dearden said:

if you don't like blogs or F/B or Social Media or Rob C...you don't have to read it.

I read it this morning after a lovely couple of hours at Church.  It's truly longer and more riveting than Jeremiah. I do hope that after 5 years in Tynwald he will truly rival Psalms and it's 150 fascinating chapters! 

6 hours ago, hboy said:

There was pages and pages of lowing just in this weeks Blog alone. He clearly has so much time on his hands that he can write all that stuff up and then fill the rest of the days with his university studying, his CPA trips (and writing up his detailed CPA travel Blog and picture posting), some self publicity on Manx Radio, and finally his apparent petty media vendettas against people who have probably seen right through it all. Probably spends Sunday's grinding axes in the garage. 

As opposed to a clown like yourself who would rather hide behind your avatar and attack him. Grow up son. If you have a grievance with him (which you clearly have) then man up and confront him. My guess is that you won't.

6 hours ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

How much money were you expecting her to save in just 6 months when presumably budgets have already been set for 2017/18 and they can't just withdraw treatment for all people who are currently receiving it? Also isnt it really Malcolm Couch who is running things day to day in terms of budgets and finances not Kate Beecroft? You do appear to have an issue with Beecroft that is nothing to do with this at all.

I have known some Tynwald members and some civil servants in my time, and the relationship on both sides always sounds strained.  As I pride myself on my professionalism at work, I tend to side with the civil servants.  Most of our politicians are no hopers as people and workers, and Tynwald is like a zoo for this species.  You can be a complete moron, and yet one day Tony or Big Al or Howie might call you and say, want to be a minister?  Their egos won’t let them say no.  In our law, it is frequently said, the minister is the department, and their decisions can affect everything.

Our senior civil servants, despite what many MF members think, are bright, committed and experienced public servants trying to do their best for us.  I know there are exceptions BTW!  Chief executives aren’t bosses like in the private sector where I work, because their ministers are always interfering in what they do.

I would guess that in this case Couch could do a better job if the management and communications were left to him – applying a lifetime of experience and knowledge from many areas.  Saint Kate is unlikely to have many ideas, based on a short political life of populist gobshite opposition to the ‘establishment’, but won’t be able to stop herself getting involved with that blind faith that they all have that they are perfect and all knowing.  Recipe usually for chaos at worst and stalemate at best.

3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

As opposed to a clown like yourself who would rather hide behind your avatar and attack him. Grow up son. If you have a grievance with him (which you clearly have) then man up and confront him. My guess is that you won't.

The ultimate internet floppy man speaks. 

19 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Our senior civil servants, despite what many MF members think, are bright, committed and experienced public servants trying to do their best for us.  I know there are exceptions BTW!

I think you'll find that those are the exceptions.

29 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I have known some Tynwald members and some civil servants in my time, and the relationship on both sides always sounds strained.  As I pride myself on my professionalism at work, I tend to side with the civil servants.  Most of our politicians are no hopers as people and workers, and Tynwald is like a zoo for this species.  You can be a complete moron, and yet one day Tony or Big Al or Howie might call you and say, want to be a minister?  Their egos won’t let them say no.  In our law, it is frequently said, the minister is the department, and their decisions can affect everything.

Our senior civil servants, despite what many MF members think, are bright, committed and experienced public servants trying to do their best for us.  I know there are exceptions BTW!  Chief executives aren’t bosses like in the private sector where I work, because their ministers are always interfering in what they do.

I would guess that in this case Couch could do a better job if the management and communications were left to him – applying a lifetime of experience and knowledge from many areas.  Saint Kate is unlikely to have many ideas, based on a short political life of populist gobshite opposition to the ‘establishment’, but won’t be able to stop herself getting involved with that blind faith that they all have that they are perfect and all knowing.  Recipe usually for chaos at worst and stalemate at best.

That sounds like a particularly well-informed assessment with a good dose of realism in it. If you're a private sector employee, you must be working very closely with government to offer a convincing critique like that.

Kate Beecroft is an accident that has happened she gave Quayle nightmares questioning and sniping,demanding figures after figures, she is some sort of accountant and thinks she knows the lot.  I agree the health service should have a bigger slice of the financial cake, health is the most important thing in life without it you have nothing but it needs to be managed properly by someone who has half a brain and does not lie at every turn.  I just hope she gets replaced when Quayle has a shuffle about because if she does not god help us all.

Archived