Rob callister mhk

Nomadic Raptor

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes but in a week where he slagged off Kate Beecroft for not being qualified to run the DHSC he had to advertise the fact that he was doing a university course to the gullible muppets who read his hilarious slabs of self congratulation every week. That's why this reference suddenly appears this week. You have to get with the deliberately interwoven nuances and subtext meshed into such an apparently innocent document. It really is quite a creative document when you analyze the subtext most weeks - a career as a Hollywood script writer surely beckons at some stage. 

42 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

I did enjoy how drafting and sending an email / letter are two completely seperate jobs and he had to do his own mail merge

There's some compelling research on linking serial Bloggers with people who have a general low sense of self esteem:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5607475/?reload=true

Quite why someone feels so compelled to record everything they do at such a detailed level and think it might be of such interest to other people is perhaps getting into the realms of weird psychology and possible self worth / aggrandizement/ esteem issues to me. I mean does one MHK really work any harder than another simply because one also seems to spend 12 hours a week writing a Blog of what they've done on top? Maybe others are working more effectively by not wasting another 12 hours a week writing down and posting online a detailed account of every meeting they've attended and every email they've sent - and letter they've written and just getting on with stuff? Or perhaps if you believe you're so important it may be psychologically essential for some to also have to broadcast all the important things they do to others via social media in an attempt to self aggrandize? 

Then of course you have the BBC's Andrew Marr's own incisive observations:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/oct/11/andrew-marr-bloggers

"A lot of bloggers seem to be socially inadequate, pimpled, single, slightly seedy, bald, cauliflower-nosed young men sitting in their mother's basements and ranting."

23 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Instead of sitting at the sidelines throwing rocks at Beecroft, he should be in there helping her fix the overspend.

To be fair he did last a month or so in her Department before deciding that it would be too difficult to stay around and try to help her and her staff turn things round. 

My Blog is an accurate account of my week as an MHK

If don't like it, don't read it.......

My University course is about being a better Parliamentarian and understanding the workings of a Parliament and it's many functions. 

The course wil finish in August and most of the work has been done in the evenings and weekends.

From August I will be finishing off my CAT exams, which will also help me in my current role. 

I honestly don't read Rob's blog but I think the author of this thread is being unfair. A lot of people (i.e. successful people) work full-time jobs while also pursuing academic or professional qualifications. We should be thankful we have someone who is expanding their knowledge. I suggest the author of this thread take up a qualification in GCSE English.

1 hour ago, Rob Callister said:

My Blog is an accurate account of my week as an MHK

If don't like it, don't read it.......

So what? Nobody needs to know how many letters you write or emails you send or how you have to do your own mail merges (clever you) as well as studying. It's fine saying if people don't like it don't read it but you could just confine it to the people who follow you online. Not fire it out linking it to Isle of Man News and Politics and other online sites so it clogs up people's new feeds as it's genuinely a very poor attempt at self publicity. The fact that you even have time to write it up and publish it speaks volumes. 

36 minutes ago, hboy said:

So what? Nobody needs to know how many letters you write or emails you send or how you have to do your own mail merges (clever you) as well as studying. It's fine saying if people don't like it don't read it but you could just confine it to the people who follow you online. Not fire it out linking it to Isle of Man News and Politics and other online sites so it clogs up people's new feeds as it's genuinely a very poor attempt at self publicity. The fact that you even have time to write it up and publish it speaks volumes. 

With all due respect, writing a journal can be a very therapeutic thing to do. Even if nobody reads it, it's a good way to put the day into perspective and allows you to calm down and go to bed without it all an irregular blob of events going through your mind and keeping you awake or running through your dreams. It's a good form of emotional release. More people should write journals. In Rob's case, I wish he'd get a bit more controversial and start slagging off other politicians in his blog and give all the inside baseball as that would definitely increase his readership. :) 

5 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

I have just read mr callisters blog and he seems to spending a lot of his day doing his university assignement.  Shouldn't be doing island / constituent things rather than a university course in our time? I dont know many jobs hat will let you do this so regularly 

What is your job, and in which constituency do you live, if one may ask? I don't read Rob's blog as no offense but I have a limited attention span but at least he communicates with the public unlike most of the politicians who were all up our arses before the election yet are now nowhere to be seen. At least he's consistent in that respect.  

Archived