Rob callister mhk

Nomadic Raptor

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Lot of trouble to go to for a 3 word reply?

Three words really? Is this On The Move? 

That's the problem with social media. Facebook, forums, all of them. Everything finishes up in a shitstorm with people not stating views for very long before making personal attacks on each other which then spiral out of control and the original topic is forgotten.

Doesn't matter what the subject is: Brexit, Trump, Left-right politics, Charlie Gard, Islam, Rob Callister, it's all the same, finishing up in meaningless bile between posters. And they say social media has a role in government of the future. It's more likely to make the future ungovernable because anyone who tries to do anything will be howled down by the baying mob, as evidenced at the weekend by the know-nothing nutters making threats against Gt Ormond Street staff.

46 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Social media has given a voice to the people. Hence we have Brexit and Trump.

There's plenty more where that came from.

I think lots of people seem to think social media only works one way. It's fine for them to use to push out their views and their personal or political agenda, but it isn't fine when other people start criticising them for those views and that agenda on social media. 

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Social media has given a voice to the people. Hence we have Brexit and Trump.

There's plenty more where that came from.

You're quite right. Before the advent of social media, the ill-informed, thoughtless, impractical, two-dimensional views of the know-nothing mob couldn't gain traction or currency because they were confined to muttered corners in the pub. Now they are promulgated widely, influencing other lame-brains, opionion-forming among those with no capacity to think for themselves and being given an added multiplyer effect by the media. Brexit and Trump are excellent examples; one being the outcome when you let the ignorant influence key decisions and the other being an examplar of a know-nothing mob member succeeding due to presentation in the social media mould; Twitter, vacuous sound-bites; demonising a perceived threat etc. Social media is much more of a curse than a boon.

43 minutes ago, WTF said:

Was it the same know nothing ignorant people who voted in the 1975 referendum to join the EU ?  

Yes it probably was.

In those days I was too young to vote but I remember the newspaper campaigns. The Daily Mirror with front page spreads shouting such as 'Marje says Vote for Europe'. Marjorie Proops was a popular agony aunt. I thought she spoke nought but slightly entertaining shite in her replies, akin to the astrology in the same papers. But the masses loved her and would do anything she said. All political campaigns were won and lost on the words of The Daily Mirror and The Sun in those days.

On 7/22/2017 at 8:02 AM, Nomadic Raptor said:

I have just read mr callisters blog and he seems to spending a lot of his day doing his university assignement.  Shouldn't be doing island / constituent things rather than a university course in our time? 

I dont know many jobs hat will let you do this so regularly 

Callister has many issues impacting his ability as an MHK. Providing a public record of what he's up to and studying to increase his knowledge are not amongst them. 

26 minutes ago, Declan said:

Callister has many issues impacting his ability as an MHK. Providing a public record of what he's up to and studying to increase his knowledge are not amongst them. 

Says you. When I've finished writing up what I just had for breakfast I'll be back on here to take you to task for that nonsense remark. 

Archived