Rob callister mhk

Nomadic Raptor

21 minutes ago, llap said:

What is your job, and in which constituency do you live, if one may ask? I don't read Rob's blog as no offense but I have a limited attention span but at least he communicates with the public unlike most of the politicians who were all up our arses before the election yet are now nowhere to be seen. At least he's consistent in that respect.  

I agree, and if you do want to know what he gets up to, at least Rob is giving people an idea of what goes on in the day to day life of Onchan's MHK. Some of them are truly from the Harpo Marx school of politics.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Aristotle said:

I honestly don't read Rob's blog but I think the author of this thread is being unfair. A lot of people (i.e. successful people) work full-time jobs while also pursuing academic or professional qualifications. We should be thankful we have someone who is expanding their knowledge. I suggest the author of this thread take up a qualification in GCSE English.

Well said. I don't know Mr Callister and nor do I vote in his constituency but it's ironic (and yet unsurprising) that these pages consistently criticise our poorly-performing political community and then immediately also criticise a new member seeking to develop deeper knowledge of matters that would potentially improve his performance as a public servant/parliamentarian. Equally, I applaud his challenge to the competence of Beecroft - who is incompetent. As I said in another post, backbench MHKs should be monitoring/holding to account COMIN; too many of this particularly pliable and unchallenging house sit and cash their cheques whist mutely accepting the dismal offerings of third raters like Skelly, Cregeen and our laughable "Chief Minister" himself.

I think the trouble with Rob's blogging is that the theme always seems to be basically that he's done loads of stuff and worked lots of hours.  They seem to be more about trying to prove he's working hard and that he's making himself accountable by posting stuff on the internet rather than anything that's genuinely interesting.

But in fairness he's correctly realised that there is a section of the voting public that value a politician posting on the internet above all else because they feel that they're being engaged with.  He'll walk back in next time round off the back of that regardless of whether he ends up acheiving anything tangible as an MHK.

29 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

But in fairness he's correctly realised that there is a section of the voting public that value a politician posting on the internet above all else because they feel that they're being engaged with. 

What thick ones who are easily fooled? 

31 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

I think the trouble with Rob's blogging is that the theme always seems to be basically that he's done loads of stuff and worked lots of hours.  They seem to be more about trying to prove he's working hard and that he's making himself accountable by posting stuff on the internet rather than anything that's genuinely interesting.

But in fairness he's correctly realised that there is a section of the voting public that value a politician posting on the internet above all else because they feel that they're being engaged with.  He'll walk back in next time round off the back of that regardless of whether he ends up acheiving anything tangible as an MHK.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Taking the time to inform his constituents is no bad thing

3 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

People moan that mhks don't interact with the voters or keep secrets from them. An mhk gives a detailed review of what he does and people moan. 

And this is my point.  It doesn't seem to matter that the content of his blogs isn't much more than boasting and that he's not acheived anything of note as an MHK to date.  He knows he's going to gain credit just because he's "interacting".

I'm not moaning about him blogging, I'm moaning because his blogs are self-publicising and vacuous and are clearly no more than an attempt to win over people who value visibility over actual achievements.

Well I actually think that Rob Callister will turn out to be  formidable MHK. He is intelligent for a start, but is also keen to get to grips with what his role entails in Government. ( something I have not heard off before )

When compared to all the other new ones and more than a few of our established MHKs he stands head and shoulders above them.

I am glad that RC gets involved in social media ( just a shame he bites on here too much ) and attempts to show what work is involved behind the scenes.

I have heard nothing from some of this new bunch, which is shameful and annoying.

This has to be the worst ever gang of 24.

More power to your elbow Rob.:)

Archived