Rob callister mhk

Nomadic Raptor

21 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Our senior civil servants, despite what many MF members think, are bright, committed and experienced public servants trying to do their best for us.  I know there are exceptions BTW!  

Trying to do their best for us maybe provided it doesn't conflict with what is best for them, in which case the focus is exclusively on the latter.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I have known some Tynwald members and some civil servants in my time, and the relationship on both sides always sounds strained.  As I pride myself on my professionalism at work, I tend to side with the civil servants.  Most of our politicians are no hopers as people and workers, and Tynwald is like a zoo for this species.  You can be a complete moron, and yet one day Tony or Big Al or Howie might call you and say, want to be a minister?  Their egos won’t let them say no.  In our law, it is frequently said, the minister is the department, and their decisions can affect everything.

Our senior civil servants, despite what many MF members think, are bright, committed and experienced public servants trying to do their best for us.  I know there are exceptions BTW!  Chief executives aren’t bosses like in the private sector where I work, because their ministers are always interfering in what they do.

I would guess that in this case Couch could do a better job if the management and communications were left to him – applying a lifetime of experience and knowledge from many areas.  Saint Kate is unlikely to have many ideas, based on a short political life of populist gobshite opposition to the ‘establishment’, but won’t be able to stop herself getting involved with that blind faith that they all have that they are perfect and all knowing.  Recipe usually for chaos at worst and stalemate at best.

I smell a vested interest....

This thread is getting far too personal for my liking. I think that rather than people directly attacking Callister (which can be a bit unpleasant as demonstrated above) we should maybe give him a general forum nickname and then it's all a bit more non direct if it's critical. I would suggest that perhaps in future people just refer to "CueBall" as a generic focus for their anger and frustration. It would seem to fit for several reasons. 

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

This thread is getting far too personal for my liking. I think that rather than people directly attacking Callister (which can be a bit unpleasant as demonstrated above) we should maybe give him a general forum nickname and then it's all a bit more non direct if it's critical. I would suggest that perhaps in future people just refer to him as "CueBall" as a generic focus for their anger and frustration. 

Better still, call round and discuss your fears and anger with him face to face...:rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

If you are interested I can send you my vest to smell

I'm interested in any commercial interests you have with Tynpotwald.

Unless, of course, it's "commercially confidential" or other such opaque nonsense....

14 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I don't have any particular anger. I was trying to find a halfway house to some of the comments above as this thread is getting a bit grim. 

Sorry SoS, I was referring to the faceless ones not you

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

I'm pretty much as faceless as everyone else on here (well, as much as anyone is). It's just starting to draw people in for arguments just mentioning him by name. 

It's obvious from some of the comments that it is personal. At the end of the day the man is doing a job whilst informing his constituents what he's doing. Simple answer if they don't like it is not to read it.

Archived