Manx Grand Prix 2017

La Colombe

5 hours ago, Max Power said:

The standard of MGP Newcomers is higher than ever, they go through a very rigorous selection process these days.  

Really? My impression is that anyone with a bike and license can turn up and have a go. I may be exaggerating a little, but really, what is the qualifying criteria for the MGP?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long way off on that one Wrighty.  For UK or IOM based riders there is a minimum requirement that they will have held a national competition licence for at least 12 months prior to the first day of practice.  Overseas riders will need to have held an FIM International non-championship licence, also for 12 months.  This means that comparative newcomers to the sport in general would not be considered and those applying to enter will have achieved, by the nature of their licence, a certain level of expertise and experience.

Further to that, they must also have taken part in enough events prior to the meeting to qualify for their mountain course licence.

They must also have visited the island and been shown around the course a minimum number of times by a qualified ACU instructor. They are generally expected to take part in one of the Newcomer familiarisation weekends organised by the MMCC, covering aspects of preparedness of yourself and your machines. 

Times have changed. In the pub last night they'd got old TT/MGP footage playing on the big screen. Don't know from when exactly, but Joey Dunlop was riding. There was rain, spray, standing water on the road. These days if there's a damp patch under a tree in Ramsey they seem to delay the start, and I don't recall them ever going out in rain. 

Times have changed because the machinery has changed, the bikes are making so much power these days that wet weather tyres are in danger of coming apart before completing a lap. I think that even for the smaller classes this is true as tyre technology has moved on, grip wise, with the tyre compounds being more grippy but softer so not as long lasting. Also there is a lot more H&S these days with regards to helicopter access and general weather conditions.

10 hours ago, manxb&b said:

Times have changed because the machinery has changed, the bikes are making so much power these days that wet weather tyres are in danger of coming apart before completing a lap. I think that even for the smaller classes this is true as tyre technology has moved on, grip wise, with the tyre compounds being more grippy but softer so not as long lasting. Also there is a lot more H&S these days with regards to helicopter access and general weather conditions.

Sounds about right...Tyre technology moved on to the point that they are less reliable than the old style tyres :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, wrighty said:

Times have changed. In the pub last night they'd got old TT/MGP footage playing on the big screen. Don't know from when exactly, but Joey Dunlop was riding. There was rain, spray, standing water on the road. These days if there's a damp patch under a tree in Ramsey they seem to delay the start, and I don't recall them ever going out in rain. 

My own opinion is that many riders now ride so aggressively that they are unable to cope with how to race in the rain. Smooth and hold a higher gear always worked for me. Today's road tyres, which Supersport and Superstock bikes use, can cope as long as you choose the right ones, some are almost slicks though.   

Archived