Tesco to stop providing free plastic bags

Manx

An environmental campaigner has welcomed a move by Tesco to end the use of plastic carrier bags in the Isle of Man.

From today, customers will no longer be able to find the disposable bags in the supermarket's Douglas branch, unless they take in their own.

In the audio on the Manx Radio link, you admit you use their free plastic bags to line your own bin. What will you line your bin with now, Sherlock? Oh that's right: you'll buy plastic bags to line your bin. In other words, this move will have zero environmental impact, inconvenience everyone, cause additional cost to consumers (especially the poor and elderly who are more likely to be using a bus to carry groceries rather than having a car they can just push a trolley to in the Tesco car park). It is just another stealth tax / money making scheme wrapped up in the guise of saving the planet, you complete tools.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not how i see it.  plenty of people don't use the bags as bin liners, and you can buy a 10 pence bag for life they will replace if it wears out.  the only bin bags getting used are specific ones rather than giving everybody  single use plastic bags  lots of people just throw away anyway.  so end result,  yes bin bags get thrown away  but what doesn't get thrown away are thousands of single use shopping bags that aren't  used as bin bags.

2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Only biffs and grannies carry their own carrier  bags into supermarkets. I would certainly not consider dating anyone that does

Well sod you then, I'll find someone who appreciates my environmental efforts.

PS. What's a ''Biff''?

2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Only biffs and grannies carry their own carrier  bags into supermarkets. I would certainly not consider dating anyone that does

That's true and these biffs are usually the same saddos who carry loads of 1ps, 2ps, in their pockets and hold up the queue counting out the exact bloody change. People like that are the reason I play GTA and Postal 2.

Archived