Tesco to stop providing free plastic bags

Manx

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Trueblood said:

We were using it 40 years ago and definitely refers to spina bifida. It may refer to different things now but that was its origin. In the same way calling someone a phlid came from thalidomide.

Never came across 'Biff' as a term of abuse in my childhood, but we definitely used 'Flid' (never seen it written down, so no idea of spelling) and 'Spaz'.  Just like 'idiot', 'imbecile' and 'moron' used to be official medical terminology, as well as 'Mongol' (short for 'Mongoloid idiot' = Down's syndrome).  Whatever medical terms are used, they get abbreviated and used as words of abuse.  Eventually the medical terms are changed as they are seen as offensive, until the new ones start being used as terms of abuse, and then they change again.

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

It is the way that most posts go Neil, sometimes before three pages.

Usually because Down trolls all threads from the start before any debate happens. He used to be a once a month poster now he's one every 5 minute poster with zero contribution. He must have had a golden government handshake about 3months ago and has nothing to do since. 

45 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Usually because Down trolls all threads from the start before any debate happens. He used to be a once a month poster now he's one every 5 minute poster with zero contribution. He must have had a golden government handshake about 3months ago and has nothing to do since. 

It's slightly surreal knowing you have this unhealthy interest in what I do. Get yourself a girlfriend for heavens sake 

19 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It's slightly surreal knowing you have this unhealthy interest in what I do. Get yourself a girlfriend for heavens sake 

I'm not a lesbian. Now stop throwing school yard insults. 

Back to topic....

.... although there was quite a long lead-in time between the decision to remove the bags and the operative date, Tesco did not apparently think things through.

When you get to the till with a chicken, they have no bags at all to put round the bird to keep it separate from other food items in your shopping bag. This is recommended, because of all the bugs we keep getting warned about in relation to raw chickens, and it is good customer care for shops to offer a bag (and it doesn't have to be a carrier bag).

All they can offer at present is a 10p "bag for life". Once you've had a chicken loose in one of those, it is not re-usable for other shopping.

They are "aware of the problem", and "bags are on order".

Clearly they ditched all their bags on 27 August. Someone was not operating brain.

53 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Back to topic....

.... although there was quite a long lead-in time between the decision to remove the bags and the operative date, Tesco did not apparently think things through.

When you get to the till with a chicken, they have no bags at all to put round the bird to keep it separate from other food items in your shopping bag. This is recommended, because of all the bugs we keep getting warned about in relation to raw chickens, and it is good customer care for shops to offer a bag (and it doesn't have to be a carrier bag).

All they can offer at present is a 10p "bag for life". Once you've had a chicken loose in one of those, it is not re-usable for other shopping.

Clearly they ditched all their bags on 27 August. Someone was not operating brain.

I don't understand why they ditched them.  Use then until they run out. 

23 minutes ago, notwell said:

I don't understand why they ditched them.  Use then until they run out. 

If FOI requests could be made to private companies, I would request information on exactly how they disposed of their plastic bags and whether it was done in an environmentally friendly way. Let's not kid ourselves here: the whole thing is nothing more than a cynical stealth tax / profit-maximisation exercise.

14 hours ago, monasqueen said:

Back to topic....

Do they actually sell raw chicken that isn't already on a polystyrene tray and shrink wrapped?

What are they doing on the deli counter with cooked and raw meat, and on the fish counter. I thought they were still putting into flimsy plastic bags. It's just plastic shopping bags at the till that have gone.

surely you aren't saying you've picked up your chicken, raw, unwrapped, with your bare hands, put it in your trolley cross contaminating with everything there?

Archived