Onchan Main Road traffic Lights

Dale Cooper FBI

Earlier today between 15.00 and 15.30,  I was crossing the road toward the Co-Op which is at the corner of the Main Road and Avondale Road, with the Manx Arms opposite it. The green man was on display meaning it's OK to cross the road (I did not press the lights myself). Literally, the cars on the left hand side heading north were all stopped before, ON and after the crossing, and all the cars on the left hand side heading south were also all stopped before, ON and after the crossing. There were also cars turning to go up Avondale Road who were stopped right in the middle of it all, including ON the crossings. It was complete mayhem and then as soon as the lights went green for cars to move, it got even more insane as nobody knew which way to go as they were all blocking each other.

Just when exactly do the government, DOI or whoever it is, plan to fix these lights? It has been years now and this today shows they're still not right. You can't blame the car drivers as it was literally all the cars from every direction caught up in it.

Rob Callister, Julie Edge, and Ray Harmer (DOI Minister, I think?), Anthony Allen and the Commissioners, all of you get your act together and sort it out before there is a serious accident or death there.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I'd taken a photograph now to prove just how mental the whole thing was. I didn't though because I thought I might be mistaken for a nonce as this was a time of day with lots of school kids returning home. Some of them were with their parents trying to cross the road and some were in the very cars stuck in the traffic mayhem.

1 hour ago, Dale Cooper FBI said:

I wish I'd taken a photograph now to prove just how mental the whole thing was. I didn't though because I thought I might be mistaken for a nonce as this was a time of day with lots of school kids returning home. Some of them were with their parents trying to cross the road and some were in the very cars stuck in the traffic mayhem.

That is such a serious study on society today on so many levels. No photo necessary.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

It was Matt Bawden who used to post on here, and he was absolutely adamant that there was nothing wrong with the lights. Arguing with him about it was like arguing with Slim or Notwell about pretty much anything.

It was indeed Matt. I think he was just giving out the official view on the forum though. He was actually OK if prone to the odd foaming, screaming forum meltdown from time to time. He approached me by PM and I had a few conversations with him there. He seemed under a lot of pressure to me.

Archived