labour

woody2

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As always, no context and no source.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/874951/Harriet-Harman-BBC-This-Week-Andrew-Neil-Labour-Party-Twitter-Response

"During a debate on what is an offensive joke, Ms Harman told BBC This Week: “I’ve long been accused of being a humourless feminist and I’ll give you two examples that I’ll protest about because they were offensive and hurtful. 

“So, this was a Guy's hospital rag magazine back in the day and people like Andrew say that these things are perfectly alright. 

She then repeated an antisemitic joke saying it 'wasn't funny.'

25 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

waffle

"People like Andrew [Neil] say that these things are perfectly alright"

Mr Neil interrupted: “Well we’ll stop with that one example and we won’t bother with the minute’s silence that you would dare to think what I would think about that because you have no knowledge of that at all.” Mr Neil then turned to another guest but Ms Harman tried to comment further, to which Mr Neil fumed: “Be quiet”.

Last month Mr Neil gave a speech at a fundraising dinner for the Holocaust Education Trust at which he spoke of the dangers of rising left-wing antisemitism.

https://antisemitism.uk/andrew-neil-forced-to-tell-former-labour-party-leader-harriet-harman-to-be-quiet-after-she-repeats-disgusting-holocaust-joke-live-on-air/

9 minutes ago, woody2 said:

I happen to follow the group which originally posted this. They’re on my ‘friends’ list. From your link:

We do not consider Ms Harman’s recounting of the Holocaust ‘joke’ to be antisemitic because she was trying to use it in order to illustrate a point about offensive jokes, but it does demonstrate shockingly poor judgement for a former Leader of the Labour Party that she chose to repeat the ‘joke’ on air and we applaud Mr Neil for his firm rebuke.

I disagree that with them about it showing poor judgement. Neil can be a bit of an old windbag, let’s be honest.

As for class.

Nice to see Andrew Neil put Harriet Hormone in her place. She's one of the most tiresome people in politics, constantly pushing her privileged feminist cause on the nation. For once, Edwina Currie talked a lot of sense. This is turning into the latest folk-scare and a feminist witch-hunt, and all sorts of innocent and natural human behaviour is being rounded up and sent for trial.

38 minutes ago, pongo said:

I happen to follow the group which originally posted this. They’re on my ‘friends’ list. From your link:

I disagree that with them about it showing poor judgement. Neil can be a bit of an old windbag, let’s be honest.

As for class.

if you had heard all the waffle before from harman, you would see the double standards...

no need to tell the joke especially having just had a go at gove.....

i don't believe you should judge people on what you think they would find funny, it back fired on harman last night....

The mistake was her presuming that Neil would find it acceptable. 

If she had caveated her remarks with “... I’m sure Andrew won’t like this joke ...” who knows what his reaction might have been. I doubt a 20 year old reference to a Today programme presenter getting in a huff about presumptuousness.

Though Neil was clearly fed up with her for going on too long.  He told her at least twice to let others speak prior to this segment.

Archived