A popular decision

TheTeapot

24 minutes ago, Declan said:

Can't see that anyone outside COMIN being given the role - only viable candidate amongst them is Watterson and he'd be bonkers to move from speaker. 

So move someone in COMIN - it feels too big a job for Boot, Cregeen, Malarkey and Hammer. 

Unlikely they'd move Cannon or Thomas. 

Unless Quayle wants to do that and CM at the same time that leaves Skelly, who probably needs a move.  

So who steps up to replace Skelly at Enterprise? 

Think Mr Skelly will want to stay where he is, but it would be a jolly good opportunity to abolish the department & it's four new enterprise agencies altogether

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, j2bad said:

So you saying next time vote malarkey and the oddball gardener, I thinks it's you needs to sit diwn, shut up and fuck off.

Fine, crack on and vote for Beecroft again. That’s democracy. Then expect the same ineffectual shit.

Edited to add - And who’s to say that Malarkey and the oddball gardener are the  options next time? Neither probably.

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

Edited to add - And who’s to say that Malarkey and the oddball gardener are the  options next time? Neither probably.

We've got Malarkey for life, that's for sure. When a fridge fixer, greasy spoon owner or whatever gets a taste of the high life wearing a suit and one of those lanyard things, and all manner of government employees fawning over them who wouldn't even notice him otherwise, then you can be sure it's a one way ego trip.

Aye, Home Affairs Minister. I think I must be in a weird parallel universe or maybe an undigested bit of beef?

5 minutes ago, Terminal said:

Why not Dr. Allinson?

I think the convention is a Teacher doesn't become minister for education, and a Dr / Nurse doesn't become minister for health. And I think this needs someone with more that a year's experience in Tynwald. 

However, if a minister is moved into Health I think he'd be a good call for one of the smaller departments - Home Affairs, Enterprise, Defa

29 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think the convention is a Teacher doesn't become minister for education, and a Dr / Nurse doesn't become minister for health. And I think this needs someone with more that a year's experience in Tynwald. 

However, if a minister is moved into Health I think he'd be a good call for one of the smaller departments - Home Affairs, Enterprise, Defa

Personally I'd rather have someone with no experience of Tynwald, but a shed load of the mess that is our NHS !

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Fine, crack on and vote for Beecroft again. That’s democracy. Then expect the same ineffectual shit.

Malarkey won't give up, probably due another German comedy candidate.

There is a dearth of talented candidates. As the current lot have thrown into sharp.relief.

Beecroft had to go as she completely failed to implement the vision as outlined by Mr Quayle and Mr Charters.

It's almost as though she deliberately set out to make it look as if their "fact" finding mission was a complete and utter waste of time and money.

So the next incumbant had better set about it pdq....

12 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Beecroft had to go as she completely failed to implement the vision as outlined by Mr Quayle and Mr Charters.

You mean there was one? That the New Zealand expedition to research the Canterbury model (that we've heard little of since) actually produced something that was supposed to have been incorporated or implemented into our NHS? And it didn't all get binned upon Mr Charter's sudden exodus to the mid-Atlantic? Gracious me. Where do I find this "vision"? :lol:

Someone like Shimmins has run a large organisation, and needed to cut costs by closing departments, branches and outsourcing. I'm pretty sure he'll have had plenty of dealings with Couch when he was at tax as well. Not the most charismatic, but could be a decent outside bet. 

19 hours ago, trmpton said:

The grief she has had online for taking on a fairly impossible task and for ultimately making decisions based on the advise of civil servants who would have given the same advice to any minister, is pretty grim to be honest.

I don’t blame her for standing down, and I can’t see all the armchair experts making it very likely that people will be queuing up to take the position nor stand for keys next time there is an election.

It's a poisoned chalice and a rotten role that comes with massive abuse to be sure.  I can't imagine who on earth would put their name forward for this. But I imagine that all the male politicians have run for the hills already in case they get the call.

Children%20020-02632.gif

2 hours ago, sm-iom said:

Someone like Shimmins has run a large organisation, and needed to cut costs by closing departments, branches and outsourcing. I'm pretty sure he'll have had plenty of dealings with Couch when he was at tax as well. Not the most charismatic, but could be a decent outside bet. 

That extra 's' just ain't right. He's gotta lose it.

3 hours ago, sm-iom said:

He may be ok, he’ll certainly be on HQs list of people to see off as he got more votes than him in Middle. 

Archived