Bands that have played in the Isle of Man

gettafa

Black Mass were a fixture in the concert room at the Head and very, very good too...but I’m gutted I missed Curved Air. Anyone loan me their time machine?

• Like 1

Pete Ostler. Yeah another great guitarist who worked a few sessions when he moved to Manchester with Mareeta, a South American female singer he'd teamed-up with. The last band they formed, it may've been called Oasis, played the ball-room at the Majestic around 78/79, and had a funk-latin-rock-disco set of standards (Chic, Average White Band, Wild Cherry, etc.) interspersed with their own stuff which Pete and Mareeta went on to record later. Charlie Cannell and Danno Kneale laying back in the rhythm-section. The Island Music scene was a bit rock-based stale at the time and that band were a refreshing change, no band had ever really played that style. And it worked. Dance floor full third number, not a wank-dancer to be seen! Late licence and a quid to get in! Full house every time. A few famous names played the Majestic too, in its heyday.

• Like 1

I worked the bottle skips of a morning in the Lido, sorting the empties into their crates and did the spots two or three nights in the Villa. Never on Sunday nights though. The Monday morning after band night would see many skips of empties parked inside by the main back door, top of the ramp, with the bar-skips still over-flowing behind the various bars.

Top 3? In no particular order, Budgie. Ian Gillan Band and Thin Lizzy. Yeah. And then there was Ian Hunter and Mott. Lol. 'Dumpy's Rusty Nuts', Quo's support band when the stage was erected at the far-end that one time, were memorable too, for reasons I can't remember! 

• Like 2

The worst? Hawkwind. '76 or '77, earlier? Dreadful and beset by many 'technical' problems, feedback and obvious intoxication. 'Silver Machine' played twice and suddenly 16 minutes long. Along with what sounded like 'experimental' musical jamming and other weirdness, they were jeered off, maybe a can or two was tossed stageside.

A funny thing occurred when Real Thing played. They were late arriving and it soon become obvious they were miming to backing tracks as 'Kenny' (the Bump) were rumbled doing one time. I was down the front with another lad (no names but you know who you are Roy H), watching the band from up close and when it became obvious that the guitarist's chord shapes were all over the place and he was miming, the lad I was with reached over and pulled out his guitar lead to prove it. The guitarist never noticed till they'd finished the following track and whenever he inadvertently came close enough, Roy H, (for it was he) pulled out the lead again. 3 times if I remember. Drove him mad but his game was up. In relation to that gig; the guitar tracks he was miming to were tracks actually laid down in a recording-studio outside Wavertree or somewhere like that by a then very youthful Ross Ellis, one-time GASP member and now International airline pilot. He was paid 8 quid or summat daft for laying down (someone else's compositions but in his own style ) songs which became massive sellers.

Edited by quilp
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/03/2018 at 6:43 PM, gettafa said:

This is a screenshot from the excellent Kelly Records website - well worth a good look through:

1974-1975.thumb.jpg.bc33994bfc69935bf321a4b4ded17baf.jpg

The only one I missed was Duane Eddy. One of the best was definitely Slade

Edited by Neil Down
To shut woody up...
  • Like 2

Anyone remember (or mentioned) local band Sorcerer? Think it was one of Colin Hinds' last local outings before departing for ventures new. Top band, they played  the Douglas Head a few times, still remember Shaun the drummer and his leopard print pants! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

but its alright for you to do the same.....

#grammarnazi

I very rarely do it but in this case it would be #spellingnazi. Anyway, looks like you can't even take a compliment without being offended, you are a very delicate little flower. :cool:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

I saw aztec camera on the prom as part of wackaday tour or something. Their sound was shit, the drummer was about a week out. That said, maybe the prom doesn't make the best auditorium and it was still probably worth it for michaela strachan's legs.

Agreed,

michaela_strachan_gallery_10-300x223.jpg.1a709c3e85850540e617e118393704ac.jpg