Bands that have played in the Isle of Man

gettafa

I'm sure there have been plenty of threads on this but no harm in throwing another up. What were your favourite gigs? For me it's Blondie (twice) and James. I love the Villa when it goes all giggy.

This page from RL360 is a good 'un for a nice succinct 'top ten' on the subject of bands on the Island:

http://www.rl360.com/top10/bands.htm

I've seen some great gigs over here - James that you've mentioned were great, Graham Coxon was absolutely tremendous, the Fun lovin Criminals in the villa gardens - but I think my favourite gig was Jon Power and his mate in Amber to about 30 people. He was brilliant.

That list you've posted mentions the meatloaf gig. I remember that happening but was too young to have gone, or have been interested in going. Wasn't it some kind of scam or something? Pretty sure I got told that Meatloaf didn't get paid and someone ran off with all the money.

I missed out on the 60’s and the 70’s bands. 

About the best band from across we had over in the 80’s was Welsh punk band Anhrefn in the Douglas. And Frank Sidebottom of course in Bushys 

Funnily, enough the best bands recently have been bands I would have wanted to see in the 80’s. Bunnymen, Moz, Weller, Bragg, Scream even if they’re not quite what they once were. 

Fun Loving Criminals in the Villa Gardens entertained  a mixed crowd in a way a surly Van Morrison didn’t a few days later. I’m glad I got to see Lou Reed at the Villa even if his backing band were pants. 

Mark Morriss at my cousin’s in Colby was great too. 

Edit: I did nearly see Motörhead but me dad rang the Lido and asked the age limit  

Edited by Declan

I cannot imagine wanting to see bands which were once interesting playing the pantomime circuit. But it must have been great to have been here when the place was buzzing. Joe Loss did the whole season in 1947.

Edited by pongo

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

I cannot imagine wanting to see bands which were once interesting playing the pantomime circuit. But it must have been great to have been here when the place was buzzing. Joe Loss did the whole season in 1947.

Not our loss though eh ?

Having quite a wide taste in music, my choice of memorable concerts may seem odd to others. But the ones that I will always remember are :-

Rick Wakeman, outdoors in Peel Castle,  Out of this world.:o

Meatloaf, again outdoors at The Bowl. Brilliant.:)

Elton John in the marquee in Nobles Park. Musically brilliant, but special as our son and daughter saved and paid for our tickets. :wub:

The Halle Orchestra at The Villa. Completely blew me away. 90+ musicians playing such fantastic pieces in total accord. simply fantastic.:o

Last, but not least, the concert in the Centenary Centre Peel last year,  " A Celtic Music Showcase" Amazing.:)

Queen at the Lido were stunning, playing to around 200 people at 80p a ticket. AC/DC again stunning and they returned in 1982 to write and rehearse their new album. The BeeGees rehearsing at the Douglas Bay Hotel prior to making it even bigger. Andy Gibb at the Peveril one summer season. Loads more, including the Rolling Stones, The Who, Robert Plant, Alice Cooper, Leonard Cohen, Jeff Beck and Freddie and the Dreamers!!

When Jeff Beck played, my mate and I saw Jimi Hendrix run to catch a horse tram to the Palace. Absolutely sure of it!

Edited by Max Power
Jeff Beck swapped for the Stones
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, pongo said:

I do like a great new band and the thrill of one riding its first wave of success. That moment does fade over time with most acts and usually before they reach the island. 

But there's a trade off as bands know their craft better as they get older. They know how to construct a set, all the little showbiz tricks, what they do well and how to accentuate that. So you may not get the thrill of a young band first realising how great they can be, you also don't run the risk of it all falling apart, and mostly you get confident professional performances of songs you already know. 

Although the fans will probably groan when the singing says "here's one from our new album", its probably better if they do have new stuff because that keeps them fresh. The best of these reformations are where there's an element of unfinished business. Where the band split up just as they're hitting their peak or whose reputation has grown since they split. Then you have a band who feel they never got their just deserts playing to crowds who never got to see them first time. That can be emotional but after a few years they're just another old band with mortgages to pay and then they come to the island. 

I guess when the world's your buffet the Isle of Man is the cheese sandwich left when you return for thirds.

Meatloaf at the bowl

Kaiser Chiefs & Snow Patrol at the Villa.

The Almighty at the Villa was great, as about the only concert you could be on front row, go for a beer, then come back to same place on front row.

Saxon played in Port St Mary, didn't go, but could hear it from Castletown!

Frank Sidebottom at Bushy's!!! "Who has been on Match of the Day?" "You have, in your big shorts" it was a bit shit really!

ooh and Ladysmith Black Mabazo (I think at Gaiety) was great, as were both Davy Knowles gigs I've been to at Gaiety!

Edited by b4mbi
remembered more!