Bands that have played in the Isle of Man

gettafa

15 hours ago, Declan said:

Edit: I did nearly see Motörhead but me dad rang the Lido and asked the age limit  

I remember about 20 years ago a bloke used to knock round Douglas. He had longish hair and always wore a head band. His one claim to fame and, as far as I could make out, only topic of conversation, was that he played drums for Motörhead at the Lido. Their guy couldn't play so he was like an impromptu "Is there a drummer in the house?" stand-in. It was a good story and I lapped it up the few few times I heard it. Just not sure it was true.

Edited by gettafa

1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

Saxon played in Port St Mary, didn't go, but could hear it from Castletown!

I lived on PSM Prom at the time so the dog got a very long walk while the band were on. The doorman who was the bin man let us in for the last couple of songs. All I remember was the guitarist got completely naked and tucked his whatsits between his legs, the crowd loved it. 

Many moons ago I knew a family living up at Douglas Head lighthouse in what was then named Foghorn Cottage/House...It was attached to the room where the compressed air driven fog horn was run from. Thus room was full of old equipment and I suppose Victorian engineering.

Rummaging about I found the Visitors' Books from when they used to do guided tours of the lighthouse.

Amongst the names there were the Rolling Stones, all of them, all with their signatures and comments. I said at the time it would have value but the other party was honest and the book was eventually collected by the Northern Lights or whatever they called it back then..

Wonder if they tore the page out and sold it? There were other "names" too but the "Stones" I thought most valuable. I suppose it was the book for 1964

• Like 1

I missed the golden era by a few years. I've always wanted someone to do a book about all the acts that appeared here, particularly for me in the 60s and 70s. One or two dismissive posts here about the Joe Loss era, but make no mistake, those bands contained some of the finest musicians in the country. I have a very early memory of some of the girls from the Ivy Benson band when I was in very short pants. Great days that sadly are gone forever.

• Like 1

Best gig I’ve been to over here was ‘The Darkness’ in the Villa a few years ago. Yes I know Justin Hawkins is a cock and their lyrics are juvenile, but they did a great show with superb stagecraft and audience interaction. 

Another good one here a few years ago was Jools, also at the Villa. 

Talking of Saxon, I saw them about 30 years ago in a small place in The Midlands (capacity 800, 1000 people in). They brought a 20,000W PA system and I saw one guy leave with his ears bleeding. True story!

• Like 1

Who was Ivan Toward whose band I think played the Villa and was local. Was it the same man who was Landlord of the Coach and Horses Laxey? I think it was Ivan Toward.

It was one of the many funny names I encountered when I first set foot on the Island in 1986. The other was a lemonade factory with the slogan "Drink Downwards"...Can you drink any other way? 

As a slight aside does anyone else remember the funicular that ran from the quay to Douglas Head road?

I remember going up with grandmother and great aunts and being very impressed by the Camera Obscura, and the live variety and black face minstrel show. 

• Like 1

Just now, Shake me up Judy said:

I've always wondered if Happy Jack was based on a real character ?

I recall that there were suggestions that a character who used to schlep around Douglas who was a bit of a head-the-ball and somewhat verbose wherever and whenever he went was the source. I THINK he worked a couple of seasons "on the deck chairs" but can't be certain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rog said:

I recall that there were suggestions that a character who used to schlep around Douglas who was a bit of a head-the-ball and somewhat verbose wherever and whenever he went was the source. I THINK he worked a couple of seasons "on the deck chairs" but can't be certain.

Humble beginnings indeed for the man who is now Chief Minister.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Humble beginnings indeed for the man who is now Chief Minister.

At least the guy I'm thinking of could manage to do his job "on the chairs" which is a great deal than be said of the latest oaf in the role of CM today.

• Like 1