Supertour 2018

The Duck of Atholl

6 minutes ago, Kevmeister said:

You mean you’re stopping commenting as you don’t have an answer to why the Manx taxpayer should underwrite putting a substantial amount of money into your pocket? I think the questions are perfectly reasonable. It’s about £4000 a car plus a lot of extras. So 30 cars is £120,000 that goes direct into your pocket. Why should we put up with the cost and the inconvenience for free so that you earn money? 

Yes it's very banana republic - arrogantly refusing to listen to  the people and using a position of influence and former office to line their own pockets. These are public roads (or were....). Mr Flint should buy some land and turn it into his racetrack - and run it as a business instead of making money using public resources as though they were his own property. You cannot compare this at all with the very publicly owned and (mostly) popular TT Festival that strives to benefit the Island as a whole, all sections.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, quilp said:

The article and comments about this seem to've strangely disappeared from iomtoday website! 

Seems all references to this have also disappeared from MR and 3fm too, not just from the iomtoday site. 

21 minutes ago, Kevmeister said:

You mean you’re stopping commenting as you don’t have an answer to why the Manx taxpayer should underwrite putting a substantial amount of money into your pocket? I think the questions are perfectly reasonable. It’s about £4000 a car plus a lot of extras. So 30 cars is £120,000 that goes direct into your pocket. Why should we put up with the cost and the inconvenience for free so that you earn money? 

The Manx taxpayer isnt underwriting anything. 

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

The Manx taxpayer isnt underwriting anything. 

Of course we are. One crash on the mountain and there’s the Police time, ambulance services, NHS staff, then there’s the DOI staff who have to deal with the road closures, and man the putting of signs and bollard up (and down), then there’s the Police presence etc. Don’t insult my inteligence. You should be paying for that not me you’re going to make shit loads out of the event. 

52 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Well that took longer than expected...

what have I done?

What did you expect? Most of the 26 comments or so following the iomtoday fanfare article were very much in the negative about your venture, citing a third week of inconvenience and the further promotion of the Island as a petrol-head paradise. You and some 'Pete' bloke both got involved in the conversation.

Be interesting to discover just why the articles were removed, or censored more like... 

6 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Incredible how there has been a complete media shutdown on this. Second thoughts methinks?

Its bizarre. The headline is there on IOM Today if you search for it but no article?

Maybe the police complained about them using a photo which is their copyright? Id support that. I look tired on it.

19 minutes ago, Kevmeister said:

Of course we are. One crash on the mountain and there’s the Police time, ambulance services, NHS staff, then there’s the DOI staff who have to deal with the road closures, and man the putting of signs and bollard up (and down), then there’s the Police presence etc. Don’t insult my inteligence. You should be paying for that not me you’re going to make shit loads out of the event. 

And the loss to businesses impacted by all the closures. And the petrol-wasting detours to get round the closed roads.

3 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Incredible how there has been a complete media shutdown on this. Second thoughts methinks?

It’s a shame if that’s the case. It has annoyed me this one though. It’s like just getting into Government is one great big cash making machine at our expense. Even when they leave they get to stay on their massive pensions and then get to make second careers out of the taxpayer again like this like they own the place. It’s not unreasonable to expect that the organizers pay for the cost and the inconvenience as they are the ones getting all the financial benefits not us. I understand it for the likes of Top Gear as the IOM gets prime time global TV exposure for free so it’s probably worth the cost. But I dont see why I should fund another penny that goes into Derek Flints pocket. 

2 minutes ago, Kevmeister said:

It’s a shame if that’s the case. It has annoyed me this one though. It’s like just getting into Government is one great big cash making machine at our expense. Even when they leave they get to stay on their massive pensions and then get to make second careers out of the taxpayer again like this like they own the place. It’s not unreasonable to expect that the organizers pay for the cost and the inconvenience as they are the ones getting all the financial benefits not us. I understand it for the likes of Top Gear as the IOM gets prime time global TV exposure for free so it’s probably worth the cost. But I dont see why I should fund another penny that goes into Derek Flints pocket. 

Agreed. There has to be a payback for this sort of thing. 

Still all for it me, I'd love to see something different, like it or not supercars are eyecatchers and will attract attention .

So many  crabs on here ,both manx  non-manx  complaining about the cost to the taxpayer ,but at  least this initiative has some chance of bringing in  revenue and publicity, unlike the policy of overstaffing the CS and spunking millions on people who produce nothing but hot air !

Archived