Chief Minister summons new MLCs

Andy Onchan

10 hours ago, Snorri said:

Changes her name from "Lord" to "Lord-Brennan" when she married. Probably thinks it makes her sound like an aristocrat as opposed to the reality that she grew up in a commissioners' house in Onchan.

That's all very well but does she keep bees ?;)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

But isn't Whingecroft correct in stating that it was the place of the President of Tynpotwald to give them their talking to, and not the fat lad?

I have to grit my teeth to say this but yes, she was absolutely correct. It's always disappointing when someone who has no credibility comes out with effective comment because no one pays any heed.

9 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Yes, I think this was just a polite reminder of what is required of an MLC and Beecroft has seized the opportunity, courtesy of Wanks Radio to grandstand and try and make it something it is not.

I completely disagree - LegCo. members are just as much a part of Tynwald as MHKs. If, during a meeting of LegCo, one of these ladies voices the opinion "Whilst scrutinising this Bill I've formed the view that Government's intentions are misplaced and I'm opposed to X, Y and Z", that's completely legitimate. If, during a sitting of Tynwald, a LegCo. member asks the CM (or any Minister) a question, or stands to speak against a government motion, that's completely legitimate too. Don't let the fact that Beecroft (who does indeed have a horrible whiney voice) is indeed trying to hijack this for personal promotion, obscure the issue that Quayle is trying to bully and subjugate individuals who have every right to speak out against his government. Someone has to, because the ranks of silent, compliant MHKs most certainly aren't.

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I completely disagree - LegCo. members are just as much a part of Tynwald as MHKs. .

Just a part of it with no democratic mandate and exists purely to undermine Tynwald being a representative democratic body.

The idea that any of them would ever rock the boat let alone need to be told not to rock the boat is all a theatrical act like something out of WWF.

They are political appointees and it was Quayle's administration who put them there. I doubt this news story has any credibility anyway.

55 minutes ago, Snorri said:

Just a part of it with no democratic mandate and exists purely to undermine Tynwald being a representative democratic body.

The idea that any of them would ever rock the boat let alone need to be told not to rock the boat is all a theatrical act like something out of WWF.

They are political appointees and it was Quayle's administration who put them there. I doubt this news story has any credibility anyway.

Which part of Tynwald exactly is the democratic bit ?

36 minutes ago, asitis said:

Which part of Tynwald exactly is the democratic bit ?

The House of Keys is the bit that's supposed to function as a representative democracy. It is the only part of Tynwald with a real political mandate.

There is a big difference between direct democracy and representative democracy. The latter, for all its defects, is significantly more democratic than the other -- don't let the names kid you.

1 hour ago, Snorri said:

The House of Keys is the bit that's supposed to function as a representative democracy. It is the only part of Tynwald with a real political mandate.

There is a big difference between direct democracy and representative democracy. The latter, for all its defects, is significantly more democratic than the other -- don't let the names kid you.

My word, you have assimilated quickly. 

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

My word, you have assimilated quickly. 

They have imported some smart lads in e-gaming. Each one arrives in possession of a full history of the Island, even extending to who grew up in Onchan Commissioners' houses.

6 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

But isn't Whingecroft correct in stating that it was the place of the President of Tynpotwald to give them their talking to, and not the fat lad?

Strictly speaking it is, but maybe there is some important Commonwealth business to attend to in the Caribbean. Who knows?

Serious question and just to widen the MLC debate a bit, can someone briefly tell us all what the following previous MLC's achieved during their term/s in office?

• Geoff Corkish
  • David Anderson
  • Michael Coleman
  • David Callister
  • Juan Turner
  • Tony Wild
  • Eddie Lowey

Oops sorry edited as had 2 Juan Turners! 

9 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

Serious question and just to widen the MLC debate a bit, can someone briefly tell us all what the following previous MLC's achieved during their term/s in office?

• Geoff Corkish
  • David Anderson
  • Michael Coleman
  • David Callister
  • Juan Turner
  • Tony Wild
  • Juan Turner
  • Eddie Lowey

Coleman produced the excellent vision nine report as for the rest...not much.

21 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

Couple of million between them at least I would have thought. Can't be arsed working it out though.

41 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

• Geoff Corkish
  • David Anderson
  • Michael Coleman
  • David Callister
  • Juan Turner
  • Tony Wild
  • Juan Turner
  • Eddie Lowey

It’s not a role known for obvious signs of success 

1. Nothing whatsoever 

2. Nothing whatsoever 

3. Agree on the Vision 9 report (& not privatizing the Post Office)

4. Nothing 

5. His only legacy is angry Twitter & Facebook rants largely at Flybe for not treating him importantly enough 

6. Got pissed, got arrested, got dropped

7. God knows and other unfortunate outcomes 

Archived