TT2018 - entertainment, tents and that

gettafa

Hooded ram will struggle because it's a car park not much you can do in a car park. Let's be honest bushys in the bottle neck was a shithole the move to the villa has been excellent for them and I dare say had hooded ram gone into the villa they would have been rammed most nights due to the fact it is a better venue than a shitty car park. Next year will be interesting unless bushys have a contract for a few years

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

Hooded ram will struggle because it's a car park not much you can do in a car park. Let's be honest bushys in the bottle neck was a shithole the move to the villa has been excellent for them and I dare say had hooded ram gone into the villa they would have been rammed most nights due to the fact it is a better venue than a shitty car park. Next year will be interesting unless bushys have a contract for a few years

How many years is the HR contract with the Corpy  for? Is there a break or penalty clause?

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

I thought the HR did a 5 year deal with the Corpy so looks like a big own goal. They need to focus on the service as it’s rubbish. I suppose Martin built up an established formula and crew for the event over the years. But the HR throwing a load of Eastern Euros at it who dont even seem to know what they’re doing clearly doesn’t work. 

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I thought the HR did a 5 year deal with the Corpy so looks like a big own goal. They need to focus on the service as it’s rubbish. I suppose Martin built up an established formula and crew for the event over the years. But the HR throwing a load of Eastern Euros at it who dont even seem to know what they’re doing clearly doesn’t work. 

It was always going to be a problem for HR getting staff. Can't imagine many of last years Bushys staff would have moved. As I said above it's a big learning curve for both venues . Bushys has been lucky with the weather as a lot of the attraction is the massive space available ..most outdoors though so if it had rained not so good 

45 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The Purple Helmets are playing this week in Douglas - all three times at Hooded Ram.

Ah well, I suppose everything has its price.

Their event advertising is weird though. It announces the trials / stunt acts, including Steve Colley, and then announces ‘the Isle of Man’s own Purplle Helmets’. Funny as I thought the Isle of Man’s own Steve Colley was born in the IOM. Obviously not according to the Hooded Ram’s marketing agency. 

51 minutes ago, Kevmeister said:

Their event advertising is weird though. It announces the trials / stunt acts, including Steve Colley, and then announces ‘the Isle of Man’s own Purplle Helmets’. Funny as I thought the Isle of Man’s own Steve Colley was born in the IOM. Obviously not according to the Hooded Ram’s marketing agency. 

That’s just the nonsense of advertising and media consultants trying to invent USP’s and getting in every point they think that they can. Bit like Ocean listing on its menu “Gravadlax Salmon”

They don’t necessarily engage brain before writing it down.

Being an old git I preferred the TT "entertainment" before it was corporate organized & sanitised. Gathered at the bottom of Broadway in the hope of seeing some bird on the back of a motorbike with her thrupenny bits out on show & people pulling wheelies was about as wild as it got.

1 hour ago, Kevmeister said:

They seem to be claiming the Red Arrows and Friday’s firework display as well...

The weather always helps the TT of course. At Hooded Ram this afternoon there were maybe a couple of dozen folk in the tent and I reckon 200 outside. It was busy enough.

Bushy's  must have had least 5 times that many people.

Hooded Ram was shouting what it was going to deliver and how much improved and better they were going to be. Everyone seemed drawn in by their fancy computer  simulations etc. What they did deliver was..... a big beer tent that sold beer.  Expensive beer. And they play loud music that you can't escape from. That's about it.

Bushy's took up the challenge and delivered it. Superbly. Various drinks and food options and other stuff (new TT game, various tent stalls etc)

One  criticism is that it is a great shame that well over half the Villa Colonnade is fenced off. A waste of an area especially on such a glorious day. But that is down to The Villa/Government Department.

Marks  out of 10:

Hooded Ram 3

Bushy's 8

17 minutes ago, victorian dad said:

Being an old git I preferred the TT "entertainment" before it was corporate organized & sanitised. Gathered at the bottom of Broadway in the hope of seeing some bird on the back of a motorbike with her thrupenny bits out on show & people pulling wheelies was about as wild as it got.

Aye but the Central was going strong then, and Maggie's Bar.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

The weather always helps the TT of course. At Hooded Ram this afternoon there were maybe a couple of dozen folk in the tent and I reckon 200 outside. It was busy enough.

Bushy's  must have had least 5 times that many people.

Hooded Ram was shouting what it was going to deliver and how much improved and better they were going to be. Everyone seemed drawn in by their fancy computer  simulations etc. What they did deliver was..... a big beer tent that sold beer.  Expensive beer. And they play loud music that you can't escape from. That's about it.

Bushy's took up the challenge and delivered it. Superbly. Various drinks and food options and other stuff (new TT game, various tent stalls etc)

One  criticism is that it is a great shame that well over half the Villa Colonnade is fenced off. A waste of an area especially on such a glorious day. But that is down to The Villa/Government Department.

Marks  out of 10:

Hooded Ram 3

Bushy's 8

All well and good until you try and get served. Last night it took us half an hour to get a gin in Bushys. The queue was 5 deep for a beer. Ended up going to Hooded Ram, which was really busy too, but got served much quicker. They had a fab band on too (switch), who had the whole place rocking.

Is the Hooded Ram tent and set up exactly what was proposed though? I heard there were some 'health and safety' issues with what they wanted to put up, which is why the end product doesn't resemble the plans . Was just a man in the pub mind.

Archived