Smart Meters are coming

Tempus Fugit

15 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The pre-payment key meters will show you what you have used in money and the MUA wont even have to send you a bill!

Mind you, the queues at the top up machines will be worse than lottery night!

You can top them up with a smartphone.

43 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

................wonder where they bought the job lot from?.......

They will be undoubtedly obsolete by the time they're fitted.

And what's the betting they will be incompatible with our mobile networks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On reading on smart meters:

- The money saving reason is almost meaningless, with households saving on average £30 a year.

- They do not work well in areas of poor cell phone reception (That's Governor's Hill then), and this can lead to false readings.

- They can cause fires if poorly fitted.

The big advantage to the user is they make it easier to switch providers which is irrelevant here.

So in summary for the user of the service they are almost pointless, especially in the Isle of Man. I hope that like in the UK these things are optional.

• Like 4

This isn't really an MEA issue, these meters are now being rolled out worldwide. If the MEA did the numbers against the business case it wouldn't stack up, on any level. We're an anomaly on this island. Therefore what's the reason they're being implemented.

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

This isn't really an MEA issue, these meters are now being rolled out worldwide. If the MEA did the numbers against the business case it wouldn't stack up, on any level. We're an anomaly on this island. Therefore what's the reason they're being implemented.

They're not telling us.... other than the pronouncement on MR, there's zilch that I can see.  

27 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

They're not telling us.... other than the pronouncement on MR, there's zilch that I can see.  

Which indicates it's a political decision not an economic one and the questions need to be addressed above the MEA.

14 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Which indicates it's a political decision not an economic one and the questions need to be addressed above the MEA.

I absolutely agree. I can't think of an imperative at the moment. If it ain't broke, don't mend it. This sounds like spending money for the sake of it.

• Like 4