Smart Meters are coming

Tempus Fugit

56 minutes ago, woody2 said:

not when the wifi doesn't work, especially in older houses......

Idiot.

Your data is available on your electricity provider's website. Example below.

image.thumb.png.662c5f8c91cb1b3cbb44a53471c16f15.png

1 minute ago, GD4ELI said:

Idiot.

Your data is available on your electricity provider's website. Example below.

and if you don't have good wifi near the meter you get no data....

:whistling:

my sister had one installed in her house but they had to take it out due to poor signal .....

10 minutes ago, woody2 said:

and if you don't have good wifi near the meter you get no data....

:whistling:

my sister had one installed in her house but they had to take it out due to poor signal .....

You are a total know-all clown.

SMART meters do not use Wi-Fi to send the readings, they use 3G/4G/5G. If you have a mobile signal (not Wi-Fi) then they work well. 

Edited by GD4ELI

4 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

what an utter waste, £18 MILLION to implement, in the hope it will make people cut down on electricity use, will cut staff from going around reading meters (and checking for meter tampering !).  If the demand reduces it will drop profit which in turn will increase the price per unit - as happened last time in the 'fuel crisis' (still have my petrol ration book !)  if anyone is old enough to remember (1970's), where tv closed down at 10pm etc, demand dropped so to maintain profit level the price increased, and never went back down again :-(

I already have an 'Owl' device which tells me how much I am using and doesn't make me switch anything off, I've already converted most lights to led where suitable alternatives were available (not at silly prices !) but the heavy use of electric still need to be utilised for laundry, cooking etc.

I fear this is just another 'because everyone else does it' exercise where we follow along like sheep :ermm:

Where did you get this info? Clicky?

SMART meters do not use Wi-Fi to send the readings, they use 3G/4G/5G.

2G too if things get desperate. My son has one in his cellar and if works fine and his mobile shows no 3G or 4G down there.. 

A lot of their criticism is based on the 'fact' that the link to the digital readout is not powerful and ill informed customers then say something like smart meters don't work/aren't that smart/are a waste of time. As you point out that isn't an issue as you just look online. 

Where these days is there no 2G signal?