Smart Meters are coming

Tempus Fugit

what an utter waste, £18 MILLION to implement, in the hope it will make people cut down on electricity use, will cut staff from going around reading meters (and checking for meter tampering !).  If the demand reduces it will drop profit which in turn will increase the price per unit - as happened last time in the 'fuel crisis' (still have my petrol ration book !)  if anyone is old enough to remember (1970's), where tv closed down at 10pm etc, demand dropped so to maintain profit level the price increased, and never went back down again :-(

I already have an 'Owl' device which tells me how much I am using and doesn't make me switch anything off, I've already converted most lights to led where suitable alternatives were available (not at silly prices !) but the heavy use of electric still need to be utilised for laundry, cooking etc.

I fear this is just another 'because everyone else does it' exercise where we follow along like sheep :ermm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Tempus Fugit said:

what an utter waste, £18 MILLION to implement, in the hope it will make people cut down on electricity use, will cut staff from going around reading meters (and checking for meter tampering !).  If the demand reduces it will drop profit which in turn will increase the price per unit - as happened last time in the 'fuel crisis' (still have my petrol ration book !)  if anyone is old enough to remember (1970's), where tv closed down at 10pm etc, demand dropped so to maintain profit level the price increased, and never went back down again :-(

I already have an 'Owl' device which tells me how much I am using and doesn't make me switch anything off, I've already converted most lights to led where suitable alternatives were available (not at silly prices !) but the heavy use of electric still need to be utilised for laundry, cooking etc.

I fear this is just another 'because everyone else does it' exercise where we follow along like sheep :ermm:

I've had one down here for ~ 4 years, must say it's very handy. I don't give meter readings, can see all my utilisation online, have actually used it to determine that some hardware was chewing up more power than necessary.

Great for the elderly such as my later mother who had to get her neighbour to read the meter.

Could pay for itself over time.

I have one. If you live in flats they can be useless. My meter is round the corner in a corridor inside a locked cupboard with other meters.

The WIFI system it relies on will not go far round corners so although it sends to the supplier of power I cannot read it in the flat using the gadget they give you ie installed on the wall in the flat.

The answer was to give me a portable gadget but even then I have to stand outside the cupboard door in the corridor to read my own smart meter.

They are OK if the meter is in your house or close by..

21 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I have one. If you live in flats they can be useless. My meter is round the corner in a corridor inside a locked cupboard with other meters.

The WIFI system it relies on will not go far round corners so although it sends to the supplier of power I cannot read it in the flat using the gadget they give you ie installed on the wall in the flat.

The answer was to give me a portable gadget but even then I have to stand outside the cupboard door in the corridor to read my own smart meter.

They are OK if the meter is in your house or close by..

The data should also be online.

Woman on my parents street had one fitted last year, the day after it set her house up in flames. Completely gutted. Electricity company still aren't admitting liability even though the bloke whose house it was is a fireman and the fire service said that is what caused it. They're renowned to be unstable apparently.   

Edited by Lxxx

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:13 PM, yootalkin2me said:

Smsrt meters do soooooo much more than you think, there are a plethora of things they will be able to do in the near and far future....watch this space and don't be so negative.

Yes, you can hook it up to the 5G masts on your lamppost outside your house as well as your smartphone, your smart TV, your smart kettle and even your smart toilet so they know how many times your having a shit. Privacy?

Edited by Lxxx
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Yes, you can hook it up to the 5G masts on your lamppost outside your house as well as your smartphone, your smart TV, your smart kettle and even your smart toilet so they how many times your having a shit. Privacy?

Well if you want to be in the Tufty club you have to play by Tufty's rules otherwise start your own club.