Smart Meters are coming

Tempus Fugit

52 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

You are a total know-all clown.

SMART meters do not use Wi-Fi to send the readings, they use 3G/4G/5G. If you have a mobile signal (not Wi-Fi) then they work well. 

she doesn't have a mobile signal in the house.....

19 minutes ago, pongo said:

In Woody's sister's castle.

not far off walls are 3 to 4 foot....

My very elderly in-laws have neither a phone and thus no wifi..... so someone still has to call round to read the fecking meter. 

also, is it going to be a legal requirement to have one of these not-so-smart meters installed??

They won't need either. Just a mobile signal.

Across, they can't force you to have one until your meter is due for replacement when its worn out.

5 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

I've had one down here for ~ 4 years, must say it's very handy. I don't give meter readings, can see all my utilisation online, have actually used it to determine that some hardware was chewing up more power than necessary.

Great for the elderly such as my later mother who had to get her neighbour to read the meter.

Could pay for itself over time.

Oh really? Pay back to who exactly?

I see this as a means to cut staff who have to read meters. So presumably once they've been made redundant/redeployed into a none-job/pensioned off/whatever then the cost reduction must exceed £18m before any savings can be passed on to the consumer (hem hem - in your dreams....)

However "Smart" meters can save you having to purchase a plug for a couple of quid that you put into the supply socket upstream that tells you how much the device is using over a cycle or whatever. Well whooopy-doo!

FFS haven't they anything better to do?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

For some of us the term WiFi has become generic for that type of thing...As it happens the installer used the term WiFi when he explained the reason my gadget the meter would not work at a distance from the meter cupboard...I neither know nor care what is called.

that's what my sister was told as well...