Are they taking the pi55

Nomadic Raptor

14 hours ago, Max Power said:

I have read of concerns that kids can be targeted by bullies/thieves who can force them to 'swap' phones to obtain a better one? 

Then they deal with the bully not punish the whole school. 

12 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

But should it be discussed at the top end of government or left to schools and the governors and senior teachers.  I can’t imagine this sort of thing would happen in the uk parliament and prime ministers questions.  Just makes us look like the back water we are or worse amateurish 

It should be left to the schools, but this is exactly the sort of thing Michael Gove would have had a policy on. It's not just here. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/18/2018 at 10:20 AM, Nomadic Raptor said:

Just saw this on the tynwald question paper for tomorrow

The Hon. Member for Arbory, Castletown and Malew (Mr Moorhouse) to ask the Minister for Education, Sport and Culture –
Whether the Department has considered banning mobile phones from school premises?

is this truly the most important thing that the GOVERNMENT should be discussing?? Seriously!!!  Everything else that is going on and this tool thinks this is important.

i hope someone makes a fool out of him

schools already have their own rules let them enforce the ffs!!!!  

Seems like a perfectly reasonable question, I'm not saying it necessarily warrants a reasonable response though.

Of course mobile phones should be banned from schools during the course of the school day. If necessary hand them in at 9 and retrieve them at 3:30 (or whenever schools finish these days). Then they can ring if they have missed the bus home or whatever .

In the event of an emergency any parent can ring the school and vice versa.

It would show children that there is life without  a mobile phone. Maybe they could relearn hopscotch, games etc in the playground at lunchtime which would be a damn sight more useful than spending the time spreading gossip via Facebook etc.

As an adult I can live my working life 9 to 5 without touching my mobile phone. It really is not difficult.

But not impossible. Yes it may be cumbersome but it’s for the greater good.

OK let the children keep their mobile phones in their possession but make it clear that if they are caught using them in school hours they (the phones, not the children) will be taken to the nearest disposal point. Once it’s happened a couple of times it should encourage adherence to the policy.

Bit draconian I admit and a probably not legal but something must be done to stop this scourge. As a parent I would tell my children to leave their phone untouched from the beginning of the school day until the end. Unfortunately there are many parents who are not quite so responsible including those who unbelievably will text their children during the school day. Yes I have seen it happen

45 minutes ago, Declan said:

It seems a terrible administrative task to collect every phone every morning then store them securely and then hand every one back at home time to the correct kid. 

Our daughters phone was taken off her along with every other pupils phone for her A level exams

The arsehole of a teacher dropped the bag and broke loads of the phones

Cost us hundreds to replace hers

Just now, dilligaf said:

Our daughters phone was taken off her along with every other pupils phone for her A level exams

The arsehole of a teacher dropped the bag and broke loads of the phones

Cost us hundreds to replace hers

Insurance? Accidents  happen  - that’s what it’s for

27 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

As a parent I would tell my children to leave their phone untouched from the beginning of the school day until the end. Unfortunately there are many parents who are not quite so responsible including those who unbelievably will text their children during the school day. Yes I have seen it happen

You use the word ‘would’ so I assume you dont even have kids so who’s bothered what you think on the practicalities for children and parents. 

21 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

You use the word ‘would’ so I assume you dont even have kids so who’s bothered what you think on the practicalities for children and parents. 

Why do you have to be so rude?

Your assumption is incorrect however. I do have children who are now past the school leaving age. My use of the word “would” in this context means “to refer back to a time in the past” (Cambridge English Dictionary) . Suggest you re-read my post in the light of this information 

Whether people are bothered what I think is up to them. I thought this was a forum for discussion not naked aggression.

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, Nomadic Raptor said:

When I was in school 15 years ago if your on your phone during lessons the teacher would confiscate it and put it in a draw until end of the lesson or day....why can’t they just do that these days?  Doesn’t need to go to government.  

How much were the tickets?

Archived