Are they taking the pi55

Nomadic Raptor

Can you imagine trying to do a presentation or teach something difficult with numerous people in the audience distracted by the latest bullshit on facebook, and the occasional phone beeping or ringing?

Aye Albert worse if they are wearing a burqa.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ballaughbiker said:

I am biased however as I like secularism. 

In addition, most reasonable people accept wearing the burqa in public is rarely just a fashion choice.

Put the two sentences above together and it's almost as though you are suggesting that wearing the burqa is forced upon women by some subjugating force....

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Why do you think uniform policy is a bad thing? If kids were allowed to wear what they wanted there'd be unnecessary competition: you'd have better well-off kids coming to class in all manner of fashion, in their designer trainers and hip gear leaving the poorer kids looking on. There has to be this most basic of standardisation, in the interests of fairness. And what's this, "incredibly un-British" bollocks? How unlike you to indulge in vague identitarianism... 

Uniforms are bad, I think because enforced conformity when we should encourage creativity and freedom. But let each school decide for it's own population, maybe for the reasons you state some will need a uniform, some may not. 

UnBritish - I identify as Manx, Celtic, European and British (as in British Isles). But clearly British. When I was growing up British values were tolerance, fair play and freedom of the individual. Having a national law on school uniform or use of mobiles seems dogmatic when this can be decided at a local level by heads.

Didn't we learn anything from the Blair years? When you create laws as a reaction to current events you end up with fixed rules which can't be changed for years. Have a law banning all mobiles from school and a computer studies teacher can't set an mobile ap design project, or an engineering teacher can't demonstrate a project that is triggered by an phone ap; whereas a head could give them dispensation in those circumstances.   

17 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Put the two sentences above together and it's almost as though you are suggesting that wearing the burqa is forced upon women by some subjugating force....

It's the people doing the forcing that need tackling, not people choosing to wear a head scarf. 

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Have a law banning all mobiles from school and a computer studies teacher can't set an mobile ap design project, or an engineering teacher can't demonstrate a project that is triggered by an phone ap; whereas a head could give them dispensation in those circumstances.   

Or they could just use phones or platforms provided by the school for just such a purpose.

As a parent I agree with the ban. They spend enough time with their noses stuck to their phones as it is.

Archived