Are they taking the pi55

Nomadic Raptor

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Declan said:

The French like rules and bureaucracy.  Like the Burka ban. 

These Islands are don't really go in for this petty rulemaking. 

Personally I think the French have it exactly right to ban religious symbolism in schools because it reinforces the fact that France is a secular state.

The mobile phone ban is about preventing distraction, addiction, bullying and so forth. 

Physical bullying is stamped on so there should be no room for cyber bullying either.

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

Personally I think the French have it exactly right to ban religious symbolism in schools because it reinforces the fact that France is a secular state.

The mobile phone ban is about preventing distraction, addiction, bullying and so forth. 

Physical bullying is stamped on so there should be no room for cyber bullying either.

So you punish the non-bullies too?

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

P K has nailed it.:thumbsup:

34 minutes ago, Declan said:

So you punish the non-bullies too?

So you clearly view losing a mobile phone for a few hours every day whilst at school is a punishment.

I find that just a little bit strange. After all, they're not exactly conducive to learning now are they....?

2 hours ago, Declan said:

I find it deeply strange that it takes a national law to police this problem. If it is a problem, schools should find their own solutions. 

Errrrr that's how stuff works.

I don't see a difference between banning phones and banning religious symbolism in schools.

If it comes from central government then it's the law and not local regulations that would be open to challenge.

Prevents all this nonsense https://www.theguardian.com/education/2006/mar/22/schools.uk

Can you imagine trying to do a presentation or teach something difficult with numerous people in the audience distracted by the latest bullshit on facebook, and the occasional phone beeping or ringing?

Ban the damn things in schools - insist they go into a locker (other than breaks) from 9am till 3pm... Emergency contact information will suffice.

21 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Can you imagine trying to do a presentation or teach something difficult with numerous people in the audience distracted by the latest bullshit on facebook, and the occasional phone beeping or ringing?

Ban the damn things in schools - insist they go into a locker (other than breaks) from 9am till 3pm... Emergency contact information will suffice.

The French law bans them in breaks too. I agree that they shouldn’t be used in classes, but again I think that’s for each school to decide. 

46 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Errrrr that's how stuff works.

I don't see a difference between banning phones and banning religious symbolism in schools.

If it comes from central government then it's the law and not local regulations that would be open to challenge.

Prevents all this nonsense https://www.theguardian.com/education/2006/mar/22/schools.uk

When I mentioned it I was thinking of the burkha ban in the context of French proposals to ban it in the street rather than schools. That seems incredibly unBritish to tell people what they can and can’t wear in the street. 

I had forgotten there was a debate about school girls. Personally, I’d ban all school uniforms and clothing restrictions except where health and safety dictates. 

To allow kids to bring in mobile phones with cameras, Facebook and social media, the internet, games and apps, to school classrooms was madness from the start. What did people think would happen ? It's been ruinous to a whole generation of schoolkids, as was and is the obsession with computers in education.

As with so many things the French are way ahead of us on this one, and they've woken up to the cost to society and education of this lunacy. I doubt we'll learn the same lesson.  

1 hour ago, Declan said:

When I mentioned it I was thinking of the burkha ban in the context of French proposals to ban it in the street rather than schools. That seems incredibly unBritish to tell people what they can and can’t wear in the street. 

I had forgotten there was a debate about school girls. Personally, I’d ban all school uniforms and clothing restrictions except where health and safety dictates. 

Why do you think uniform policy is a bad thing? If kids were allowed to wear what they wanted there'd be unnecessary competition: you'd have better well-off kids coming to class in all manner of fashion, in their designer trainers and hip gear leaving the poorer kids looking on. There has to be this most basic of standardisation, in the interests of fairness. And what's this, "incredibly un-British" bollocks? How unlike you to indulge in vague identitarianism... 

Anyone who knows France will appreciate that these national rules apply and are enforced to everyone no matter where and where no matter what their perceived standing. I like that. They range from laws on apparent trivial problem to national security. 

They are all numbered for reference and I think it's a great system. Stops all sorts of crap like coppers making laws up at the side of the road and lawyers arguing semantics etc.

I am biased however as I like secularism. And France.

Edit: I hardly think kids having no mobiles in school is some sort of punishment. In addition, most reasonable people accept wearing the burqa in public is rarely just a fashion choice.

Archived