Audi TT 20 Year Celebrations

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

Audi must be laughing like anything at our pathetic Government. They have the run of a large stretch of road at the taxpayers expense for nothing. What are they contributing to the island? Buses? Police Cars? Government Flunkies Chauffer cars to ferry HRH Chief Minister around? 

'Pathetic'? Do elaborate on your reasoning.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Thie Veg said:

Can we get Audi to pay for the extra fuel we'll use, and also compensate for the time spent waiting in queues on the remaining open roads?

When you come up with a formula for financial recompense for traffic waiting times do let us all know old chap.

If events like this gave some tangible betterment to the Island that the public could see, as opposed to 'invisible' benefits (increased income to hotels, pubs, restaurants etc) the tolerance for these type of events by the travelling public might be greater.

For example, (and it could be 'wrapped up' in a goodwill gesture), Audi 'donated' a minibus to the Joey Dunlop Foundation, or Hospice or some organisation, with their name on the side, that would be seen around the Island, then people would at least see something for their inconvenience. Even donating some cash for life saving medical equipment to the Hospital who apparently get do not even get additional income when major motorsports are on (e.g. TT), far less events like this Audi one, would show some gratitude to the Island.

While I, like many enjoy motorsport, I fear the various initiatives Mr Skelly and his advisers dream up, are fragmented. Given that many of these events are arguably more about managing egos of certain 'swivel servants' and their politicians fighting over who can crawl the furthest up the proverbial colons of the corporate companies, I fear that this sort of event and its attendant inconvenience, is going to increase under the auspices of 'austerity' and 'we need to get as much cash into the economy as possible'.

25 minutes ago, Galen said:

If events like this gave some tangible betterment to the Island that the public could see, as opposed to 'invisible' benefits (increased income to hotels, pubs, restaurants etc) the tolerance for these type of events by the travelling public might be greater.

For example, (and it could be 'wrapped up' in a goodwill gesture), Audi 'donated' a minibus to the Joey Dunlop Foundation, or Hospice or some organisation, with their name on the side, that would be seen around the Island, then people would at least see something for their inconvenience. Even donating some cash for life saving medical equipment to the Hospital who apparently get do not even get additional income when major motorsports are on (e.g. TT), far less events like this Audi one, would show some gratitude to the Island.

While I, like many enjoy motorsport, I fear the various initiatives Mr Skelly and his advisers dream up, are fragmented. Given that many of these events are arguably more about managing egos of certain 'swivel servants' and their politicians fighting over who can crawl the furthest up the proverbial colons of the corporate companies, I fear that this sort of event and its attendant inconvenience, is going to increase under the auspices of 'austerity' and 'we need to get as much cash into the economy as possible'.

What you say is food for thought. Sadly I doubt Audi will give anything, unless they are shamed into it. After, they have been given use of part of the TT course exclusively for 4 hours a day for over a week. The likes of Skelly and the People’s Prince will be excited, as they will have their egos massaged. 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

What you say is food for thought. Sadly I doubt Audi will give anything, unless they are shamed into it. After, they have been given use of part of the TT course exclusively for 4 hours a day for over a week. The likes of Skelly and the People’s Prince will be excited, as they will have their egos massaged. 

They are using part of the Douglas to Ramsey mountain road.

Lots of groups use that road including some bikes 

45 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

If you're reading rob, don't forget to have a word with Audi while they're here about their use of the TT trademark.

The PR. refers to ...... "    our TT co-existence agreement with Audi     ". It would seem that Audi have been allowed to continue to use the TT logo? Or, have the Island been allowed by Audi to use the TT logo??? They having registered it first???

2 hours ago, Galen said:

Is that a problem?

20 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The PR. refers to ...... "    our TT co-existence agreement with Audi     ". It would seem that Audi have been allowed to continue to use the TT logo? Or, have the Island been allowed by Audi to use the TT logo??? They having registered it first???

It goes back to when NSU  used to race in the TT.

WIKI LINK

It's been covered on here many times before

That doesn't explain who first registered the name 'TT' and why there has to be an 'understanding' between Audi and the Island govt.

I seem to remember the previous references being 'tongue in cheek' as to whether the Govt were going to challenge Audi for their use.

11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

. The big rallies literally bring in millions.

That surprises me as it never looks like we get more than 200 entries from across  for a rally so to raise a million each would have to spend £5,000 in the local economy. Now I know petrol ain't cheap over here but............

53 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Is that a problem?

Only if you want to increasingly get those who live on the Island for reasons other than sporting activities, really cheesed off.

It is not as though many of the companies who IOM Govt court to come over here are on the proverbial financial bones of their backsides. Why should they not pay something directly into our society? If indirect income was so lucrative, then Govt would surely abandon direct taxation of residents and just depend on indirect means such as VAT etc. However, the IOM Govt is no different to any other Govt in that it wants its cake and wants to eat it, so we pay twice, directly and indirectly. Given the IOM Govt now own the SPCO, no doubt they, sorry we, paid Audi's ferry fares too.

1 minute ago, Galen said:

Only if you want to increasingly get those who live on the Island for reasons other than sporting activities, really cheesed off.

It is not as though many of the companies who IOM Govt court to come over here are on the proverbial financial bones of their backsides. Why should they not pay something directly into our society? If indirect income was so lucrative, then Govt would surely abandon direct taxation of residents and just depend on indirect means such as VAT etc. However, the IOM Govt is no different to any other Govt in that it wants its cake and wants to eat it, so we pay twice, directly and directly. Given the IOM Govt now own the SPCO, no doubt they, sorry we, paid Audi's ferry fares too.

What a stupid post.

29 minutes ago, Kopek said:

That doesn't explain who first registered the name 'TT' and why there has to be an 'understanding' between Audi and the Island govt.

I seem to remember the previous references being 'tongue in cheek' as to whether the Govt were going to challenge Audi for their use.

Registration of marks is very complicated. If I remember correctly, the IOM registration of TT only relates to bike racing. 

You need to read the full registration document to understand what is and isn’t covered. 

You’ll never see a poor trademark lawyer. 

Firstly, there will be publicity from this event, car test reports will sometimes mention where it took place. The best publicity would be a by line under a TV advert saying, Filmed on the Isle of Man but I don't think car adverts do carry these endorsements.

Bring millions to the Island??? Audi are not involved in Rallying, they are withdrawing from the WEC, Volkswagon are also leaving Rallying. Also, the mountain road is not a rally stage type of road. We don't have the offroad sections that World rallying requires. We also have some  problems with our staging of the rallies that do come here, teams? competitors have complained about the interpretation of the rules ( bitterly).

Bring loadsamoney into our economy? Audi will have staff here for the full period but the journalists are being flown in and out in a day. So, certainly some spend but not loads.

Archived