Audi TT 20 Year Celebrations

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/14/2018 at 11:19 PM, yootalkin2me said:

Well why not, it's not like this island isn't open to making money from dubious means...human organ harvesting...

I pity the poor bugger who ends up with Cregeen’s brain.

All this fuss and moaning annoys me immensely. A world leading manufacturer chooses our sleepy little island to launch a major car in its range to the world's press and we get all whicker man on them! What about the fact that your home island is being projected through superb photography and hopefully glowing reports of our hospitality and scenery, to people around the world at no real cost to us?  

28 minutes ago, Max Power said:

All this fuss and moaning annoys me immensely. A world leading manufacturer chooses our sleepy little island to launch a major car in its range to the world's press and we get all whicker man on them! What about the fact that your home island is being projected through superb photography and hopefully glowing reports of our hospitality and scenery, to people around the world at no real cost to us?  

I doubt Audi is going to give this island any positive publicity. Superb photography isn’t going to bring people to the island or help fill in the black holes in the islands finances. Yes some people on the island will benefit nicely, I certainly won’t, but I’m helping to subsidise the very people who will benefit, so please forgive me for expressing my opinion. Incidentally, like many other taxpayers on the island, my taxes are used towards the TT/FOM etc. I do not get anything out of this event. I don’t dislike it, but unlike some who treat Motorsports like a wet dream. I merely express my opinion, even if it’s comes across as moaning. Sorry if I come across as moaning. 

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I doubt Audi is going to give this island any positive publicity. Superb photography isn’t going to bring people to the island or help fill in the black holes in the islands finances. Yes some people on the island will benefit nicely, I certainly won’t, but I’m helping to subsidise the very people who will benefit, so please forgive me for expressing my opinion. Incidentally, like many other taxpayers on the island, my taxes are used towards the TT/FOM etc. I do not get anything out of this event. I don’t dislike it, but unlike some who treat Motorsports like a wet dream. I merely express my opinion, even if it’s comes across as moaning. Sorry if I come across as moaning. 

I was mainly referring to the moaning on Facebook and in the press, you are free to moan as much as you like here as far as I'm concerned 2112, it adds to the discussion :) 

47 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Or more likely due to a shared interest by name only(TT) the highly intelligent marketing people at Audi contacted the IOM Government to ask how much £££££ it would cost - whereupon our Commercially focussed Civil Servants gave it away for free.

It's been going on for years all the beautifully filmed Top Gear shite hasn't brought the visitors flocking.

With a name such as Max Power I would guess you are a fan of this type of activity, Clarkson, have at some point described yourself as a Petrol head, have a Top Gear calendar and at one point have owned a Rothmans or Subaru 555 coat ?

6 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Or more likely due to a shared interest by name only(TT) the highly intelligent marketing people at Audi contacted the IOM Government to ask how much £££££ it would cost - whereupon our Commercially focussed Civil Servants gave it away for free.

It's been going on for years all the beautifully filmed Top Gear shite hasn't brought the visitors flocking.

With a name such as Max Power I would guess you are a fan of this type of activity, Clarkson, have at some point described yourself as a Petrol head, have a Top Gear calendar and at one point have owned a Rothmans or Subaru 555 coat ?

With a name such as Helmut Fromage  I'd rather not  think what type of activity you're a fan of :lol: 

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I agree in general with the sentiment.

However mentions of the IoM are conspicuous by their absence in the UK press articles so far. Although as the relaunch of a mid-range sports car that's not surprising - these types of articles as you probably know tend to be short and on-point, in the 'new drives' section rather than a full feature.

ETA Pictures of the island are OK though.

5 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

I do like the technology more than the superfluous stuff and am more involved with motorcycles. No to your description and the name was chosen as a homage to Homer Simpson's alter ego rather than anything relating to cars etc.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

If the island ends up getting lots of great TV then fantastic. Especially given the relatively good weather they have enjoyed. 

Any idea where any of the footage will be shown? The only show which seems to matter currently is The Grand Tour, right? Where else would the footage be shown? Is stuff they film for themselves really worth anything to the island?

A bunch of nice photos isn't worth anything IMO. But if they are paying then that's ok too IMO.

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

If the island ends up getting lots of great TV then fantastic. Especially given the relatively good weather they have enjoyed. 

Any idea where any of the footage will be shown? The only show which seems to matter currently is The Grand Tour, right? Where else would the footage be shown? Is stuff they film for themselves really worth anything to the island?

A bunch of nice photos isn't worth anything IMO. But if they are paying then that's ok too IMO.

You are right, nice photos and a nice video isn’t really worth much. Let’s face it, Audi will not put on their advertising material, filmed and photography of the Isle of Man. Audi will not give a toss, they are on the face of it are cold hard business people. There concerns are selling cars. If I were DED I would insist of maximum exposure and insistence of mentioning of the island on all prominent promotional material, and if necessary plugging the island via Audi. I doubt this will happen though. I bet Audi pissed themselves laughing when dealing with DED and offered all this assistance, gratis. I can’t imagine many other jurisdictions where car advertising is filmed, throw themselves to multi million pound businesses for nothing - in effect subsidising their marketing campaigns.

5 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

TV - you'll be lucky! Half page write up in the motoring magazines and maybe a column in the Sunday Times.

I think it's more about the direct spend and maybe attract a couple a year rather than that much PR spin off.

That sounds like Eddie Teare and Bed nights etc!

Archived