Audi TT 20 Year Celebrations

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=41755&headline=In the Manx Independent: Publicity stunt's disruption&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2018

The Mountain Road is being closed for nearly a week, for half a day for Audi. Yes it will generate publicity, certainly for Audi, but with the expense of shutting down part of the islands infrastructure, it’s a negative expense - cost of closing by DOI staff and Police Officers in attendance. Also the cost of advertising etc. Apparently Skelly offered to Audi the road and it’s closure for nothing. In the vain hope the island gets some publicity. Is he that desperate and is the island now that desperate? Also has he the authority to do this? I’m beginning to think now of something fishy going on between Audi and IOMG or it’s Servants. This is not transparent!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s not for Skelly and his associated Goons to offer freebies. I’m sure Derek Flint wasn’t offered road closures for nothing for his super car event. Yes the DOI and Police are working accepted. The Police should be dealing with protecting the islands citizens, not acting like the 2 Rons guarding the barriers by Ramsey Hairpin and the Creg ny Baa.. There is plenty of work for DoI staff to do, if there isn’t, get rid, it would save on wages and pension costs. I’m totally sick of the DEAD approach to spending mine and other taxpayers hard earned money. 

Just now, Declan said:

But presumably they would have been fixing roads and investigating crimes elsewhere. 

Let’s face it, the roads are full of potholes and the police never solved the burglaries that took place a couple of years ago. 

Why close the road?  Youboob has some drone footage of some fast cars over here.  Looks like the roads were open for them. Apparently the woman on a push bike and a friend of mine wasn’t too happy when they found them on The Sloc.

The cops won’t be anywhere near this. The closure of the road is part of the event plan and down to the organisers to implement and manage. 

I’m really pleased for Audi, as we were refused a one day closure using what is ostensibly the same safety plan. That said, I believe some further restrictions have been put in the road closure order that will somewhat take the uniqueness and fun out of it. 

This is a big deal for the Island and it is bringing in a lot of money for local businesses. Between Porsche doing that big press thing a few months back, and this, the Island is on the radar again for car events. I totally get how some people find the closures inconvenient, but there is a real benefit to the purse here. The big rallies literally bring in millions. If we can get people to come here, despite the cost, then we should continue to find ways to build on this.

Audi must be laughing like anything at our pathetic Government. They have the run of a large stretch of road at the taxpayers expense for nothing. What are they contributing to the island? Buses? Police Cars? Government Flunkies Chauffer cars to ferry HRH Chief Minister around? 

16 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Talking of road closures  ... how is it that the road by the Imperial Hotel has been shut for over 6 months. The demolition people seem to have just walked away .

I think somebody raised an objection to the demolition....

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Audi must be laughing like anything at our pathetic Government. They have the run of a large stretch of road at the taxpayers expense for nothing. What are they contributing to the island? Buses? Police Cars? Government Flunkies Chauffer cars to ferry HRH Chief Minister around? 

Can we get Audi to pay for the extra fuel we'll use, and also compensate for the time spent waiting in queues on the remaining open roads?

Well its shut for three and half hours (12.30 to 16.00) for the next week, excluding Sunday) https://www.gov.im/residents/roadnotifications/Notification.aspx?id=14249

Its 14 miles from Hairpin to Gov Bridge and 17 from Ballure Road to Summerland. Its hardly inconvenient and the additional costs will be negligible. As its open at the really busy times, there's hardly going to be queueing either.

Usual MF fuss about nothing IMHO..

8 minutes ago, pongo said:

Reminds me of a Two Ronnies joke about a hole in the road.

".... the Police are looking into it".

A lorry load of red paint has collided with a lorry full of blue paint. Both drivers are marooned.

Archived