Farage Against The Machine

La Colombe

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Declan said:

To be fair, they are the Farage of rock. Posing as anti-establishment  but really just another little cog in the Corporate Rock machine. 

Yeah, difficult to pull it off when you've signed to Epic/Sony and banked a mountain of cash! Some great tracks though. And Farage is a pissweasel. Whatever a pissweasel is. 

5 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Yeah, difficult to pull it off when you've signed to Epic/Sony and banked a mountain of cash! Some great tracks though. And Farage is a pissweasel. Whatever a pissweasel is. 

Also hard to get your music out there (certainly to a level that RATM) have without signing to a label.  A necessary evil as it were.

9 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Also hard to get your music out there (certainly to a level that RATM) have without signing to a label.  A necessary evil as it were.

True, but there were plenty of Indie labels at that time that would have been a better fit. TBH I don't really blame a band for signing to a major, I just think it's a bit hypocritical to then present yourself as Raging Against the Machine. Maybe if the songs weren't vacuous sloganeering but a more subtle critique of the corporate world they could have pulled it off.

Then there was their part in that cynical anti-X Factor campaign, literally, the lowest point music has sunk in my life.  Two Sony songs battling for the Number 1 and all the punks and rockers and indie kids downloading 20 Year Old song and thinking they are sticking it to the man. 

Just now, Declan said:

True, but there were plenty of Indie labels at that time that would have been a better fit. TBH I don't really blame a band for signing to a major, I just think it's a bit hypocritical to then present yourself as Raging Against the Machine. Maybe if the songs weren't vacuous sloganeering but a more subtle critique of the corporate world they could have pulled it off.

They are speaking the language age of the time.  You could say the same about Dylan in his time.

Then there was their part in that cynical anti-X Factor campaign, literally, the lowest point music has sunk in my life.  Two Sony songs battling for the Number 1 and all the punks and rockers and indie kids downloading 20 Year Old song and thinking they are sticking it to the man. 

They did stick it to the "Man"....Cowell didn't get his cast iron guaranteed xmas number one as was the trend.

10 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

They are speaking the language age of the time.  You could say the same about Dylan in his time.

They did stick it to the "Man"....Cowell didn't get his cast iron guaranteed xmas number one as was the trend.

I thought of Dylan as I was writing my post, his song weren't vacuous empty-headed sloganeering and he didn't at that time have the option of an array of Indie Labels. Dylan couldn't have signed to Dischord or SST or Sub Pop like Rage could have. 

Yeah, Cowell cried all the way to the bank on that one. But what did it say about Rock Music etc? That if we all work together against the Cowells of this world we can get a 20 year old song on the same label to number one. That's waiving a white flag not a rebel one. 

Archived