Farage Against The Machine

La Colombe

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, woody2 said:

art and music moves on, more young are involved than ever before.....

Which brings us back to what I wrote previously: The same sort of person who would once have wanted to form a band would be doing something else today. I would say the same about painting, for the most part. It's no longer where the ideas are. Unless driven by ideas the arts is just pretty pictures and Muzak. Nothing wrong with that per se.

2 hours ago, pongo said:

Which brings us back to what I wrote previously: The same sort of person who would once have wanted to form a band would be doing something else today. I would say the same about painting, for the most part. It's no longer where the ideas are. Unless driven by ideas the arts is just pretty pictures and Muzak. Nothing wrong with that per se.

You paint a very vacuous and jaded picture of the current arts scene. (No pun intended).

It's not what I see and hear.

21 hours ago, pongo said:

Aren't those basically just pretty pictures?

Nothing wrong with that on a biscuit tin. But impressionism, in its era, challenged convention - being ridiculously modern and difficult to understand. It came out of ideas and was, in that sense, conceptual as well as stylistic. It was wild and challenging. It upset people. It was about ideas.

Imitating it today is surely pastiche?

They’re just pretty pictures to you. I found something else in them. I’m not exactly a critic, and a better educated art expert would probably have seen it all before, but I like those Calloway pics. 

22 hours ago, pongo said:

but that's not the case.....

Well I mostly buy and listen to music on vinyl. But I do use streaming services when I'm out and about, and that's mainly Spotify. 

I'm not sure why anyone, other than perhaps djs, would download files to a computer, then spend time tagging them correctly before syncing them to another device just to have something to listen to on the bus. This is 2018. 

And even Back in the day iTunes was always  terrible.

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

I'm not sure why anyone, other than perhaps djs, would download files to a computer, then spend time tagging them correctly before syncing them to another device just to have something to listen to on the bus. This is 2018. 

Still using buses in 2018 is a bit mental. 

Archived