CLEARED

Neil Down

In a case reported in the Independant today. A woman was found guilty of naming two alleged rape victims on her facebook page.

The Deputy High Bailiff said...........

"".... that the offence was made even more serious by the allegations being made in a small community and anyone named would soon have their name circulated around the Island.  ""

There is an obvious parallel to the case under discussion here where the Newspapers reporting of his name would also have a greater effect in the same small community.

However, that still does not mean the paper was wrong not to deviate from its normal procedure , just that, as JW says, there is a wider debate to be had.

?? Do those accused of rape have some anonymity until the verdict??? I thought so.

I wonder who provided the rather silly photo of this chap to the paper? A poor quality crop , presumably from a phone and not a smart phone as their quality is better. If it was a colleague from work? Not very nice.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, yootalkin2me said:

But that first statement is bullshit John and you well know it. Printing apologies or settling out of court for erroneous reporting is the norm....just like a lack of proof reading at Johnston Press.

Ceased to be Johnston Press two years ago.

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Spell and Grammar check will do the proof reading, I think what you mean is Editorial or Management interference in a submitted story? Then we would complain about that?

Ok, but it appears that they don't even do a spelling and grammar check.

There is an argument to be made that this Lady should be named if only to protect others from bogus accusation. Granted, she now has a track record but this must have been so unpleasant for the poor man.  I have no idea how he's handling it since the verdict but if something happened, and it was a direct result of this accusation, would this girl be in any way culpable?

I release this all seems a bit dramatic but I've heard excuses made for her, fuck that.  There is NO excuse. Not for this.

55 minutes ago, PottyLisa said:

There is an argument to be made that this Lady should be named if only to protect others from bogus accusation. Granted, she now has a track record but this must have been so unpleasant for the poor man.  I have no idea how he's handling it since the verdict but if something happened, and it was a direct result of this accusation, would this girl be in any way culpable?

I release this all seems a bit dramatic but I've heard excuses made for her, fuck that.  There is NO excuse. Not for this.

* realise...

1 hour ago, PottyLisa said:

Thank you Neil. Was the rest of it ok or was it just the realise/release bit that let me down? \middle finger :P

Can't let your standards slip Lisa :flowers:

3 hours ago, PottyLisa said:

The danger of "naming and shaming" her is that it could prevent other victims from coming forward. 

It's not hard to imagine a scenario where a woman has genuinely been raped and the cops get the wrong man OR there's not enough evidence to convict and the perpetrator goes free. I worry that would play on victims minds. "If they don't convict, I'll be named and shamed" it would require lots of faith in the cops and the courts to come forward then.

In this case, If she's genuinely lied and is not just mistaken, then of course she should prosecuted. At that point the court, with all the facts, can decide whether or not she can be named publicly, taking into account any impact on the child. 

2 hours ago, Declan said:

The danger of "naming and shaming" her is that it could prevent other victims from coming forward.

It's not hard to imagine a scenario where a woman has genuinely been raped and the cops get the wrong man OR there's not enough evidence to convict and the perpetrator goes free. I worry that would play on victims minds. "If they don't convict, I'll be named and shamed" it would require lots of faith in the cops and the courts to come forward then.

In this case, If she's genuinely lied and is not just mistaken, then of course she should prosecuted. At that point the court, with all the facts, can decide whether or not she can be named publicly, taking into account any impact on the child.

True Declan, I guess it's to be accepted that there will always be a wide grey area where the threshold for prosecution against vexatious accusations may or may not be met.

Archived