Athol Street police presence

manx-person

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Guessing maybe a big deposit of cash at IOM Bank?  Is it used as a repository for Manx Currency?  Perhaps deliveries of new Manx Notes & Coins that have just been minted?

these days people will taking their cash out and fucking off to places with more competent governance 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Interesting. Armed cops on the streets, on a regular basis, is newsworthy and far from routine. There must be some pretty compelling intelligence to suggest something was going to go off. 

where the officer authorising the deployment has reason to suppose that officers may have to protect themselves or others from a person who:

is in possession of, or has immediate access to, a firearm or other potentially lethal weapon, or

is otherwise so dangerous that the deployment of armed officers is considered to be appropriate, or

as an operational contingency in a specific operation (based on the threat assessment), or

for the destruction of animals which are dangerous or are suffering unnecessarily.

Fair enough Mr Flint but sitting in a vehicle with rifles?

Surely you're either covert as to not alarm the public or you're on show to reassure them and deter Blagger Bill? This seems to be a sort-of neither. But rifles? Difficult to deploy quickly from a vehicle and even a 5.56 round can go through cars etc etc and a 7.62 through a lot more and from distance.

I'm sure as a deployment it must have been thought through. But intriguing......

Just now, kevster said:

Assuming that they did actually have rifles...... One poster mentions it, and everyone immediately believes it.

I wondered that as well.

The only picture I have ever seen of an armed police officer on the island his rifle was a bright yellow colour iirc.

Mind you, they could have been holding table legs in the van I suppose...

4 minutes ago, kevster said:

Assuming that they did actually have rifles...... One poster mentions it, and everyone immediately believes it.

They did - I saw them and walked past another time to be sure. Later in the afternoon one of the officers exited the 4x4 to go into the BMW vehicle (with roof mounted rear cameras) I saw this from my office window with a colleague. Did anyone else look closely ? Must be other posters here who work on or around Athol street?

1 minute ago, gettafa said:

Get the mobie out - take pictures/video - post to Facebook/Manxforums.

No pictures = it didn't happen

Taking pictures of armed officers and posting them on Facebook ? Makes great sense that - I’ll  wait for someone else to corroborate the facts.

57 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I wondered that as well.

The only picture I have ever seen of an armed police officer on the island his rifle was a bright yellow colour iirc.

Mind you, they could have been holding table legs in the van I suppose...

I'm sure that if armed officers were on one of the busiest streets in Douglas, more people would have noticed and the local facebook pages would be in meltdown......

3 minutes ago, kevster said:

I'm sure that if armed officers were on one of the busiest streets in Douglas, more people would have noticed and the local facebook pages would be in meltdown......

Go into Java express tomorrow and ask the staff there - see what they say.

so @kevster if it’s not in Facebook it’s not true?

Fantastic we have these Oracles of the truth to inform us!

Archived