Athol Street police presence

manx-person

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quick google search of images and twitter accounts of the IOM police shows a variety of pics of weapons and kit, and hashtags claiming they are using H&K416 assault rifles. Which are basically (very) updated Lee Enfield rifles from the 50’s....simply by the fact they are shoulder mounted and have a rifled bore/barrel. I’d also hazard a guess that there may be even longer range/larger caliber weapons for either police sniper capability, and/or destruction of dangerous animals from safe distance as Derek Flint stated earlier.

CD907AA1-A0F6-4481-BA68-3D97FC5F56B3.jpeg

7B176FEA-16B1-4733-8FAB-52AA769E63F0.jpeg

3 minutes ago, manxst said:

quick google search of images and twitter accounts of the IOM police shows a variety of pics of weapons and kit, and hashtags claiming they are using H&K416 assault rifles. Which are basically (very) updated Lee Enfield rifles from the 50’s....simply by the fact they are shoulder mounted and have a rifled bore/barrel. I’d also hazard a guess that there may be even longer range/larger caliber weapons for either police sniper capability, and/or destruction of dangerous animals from safe distance as Derek Flint stated earlier.

Eh, Lee Enfield rifles are nothing like HK416s. Different calibre, different action, different lengths, etc.

6 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Eh, Lee Enfield rifles are nothing like HK416s. Different calibre, different action, different lengths, etc.

Still rifles though according to the definition- my half hearted, toungue in cheek comparison was due to previous posters specifically stating the police don’t use rifles.

2 minutes ago, manxst said:

Still rifles though according to the definition.

Technically, one is an assualt rifle and one is a repeating rifle. Yes, both rifles but quite different in how they work. Where did you get the idea the HK 416 is based on a Lee Enfield rifle?

Just now, mojomonkey said:

Technically, one is an assualt rifle and one is a repeating rifle. Yes, both rifles but quite different in how they work. Where did you get the idea the HK 416 is based on a Lee Enfield rifle?

Doesn’t matter....that wasn’t the point I was conveying. 

42 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Ok, I was just interested where you got the idea from.

Btw, top lurking, 44 posts in nearly 11 years.

Cheers. I have a day job and a life. Plus I don’t want burn myself out too quick.

The ”Hocklers” are to Lee Enfields as a Ferrari is to a model T Ford. The sidearms are probably Sig P226s (or the compact versions thereof) or possibly Glock 17s/19s. The police certainly will have a long rifle - “marksman”/“sniper” as it were - probably the Heckler & Koch G3.  Unlike the 9mm carbines and sidearms, the HK416 fires the 5.56 NATO round. The police possibly also have the MP5SF, or whatever the updated version is. In the photos, I can’t be sure what sight they’re using but it does look as if it’s possibly the standard HK one. Basically, all of them will spoil your day in fine style if you stop a round from one.

17 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

The ”Hocklers” are to Lee Enfields as a Ferrari is to a model T Ford. The sidearms are probably Sig P226s (or the compact versions thereof) or possibly Glock 17s/19s. The police certainly will have a long rifle - “marksman”/“sniper” as it were - probably the Heckler & Koch G3.  Unlike the 9mm carbines and sidearms, the HK416 fires the 7.62 NATO round. The police possibly also have the MP5SF, or whatever the updated version is. In the photos, I can’t be sure what sight they’re using but it does look as if it’s possibly the standard HK one. Basically, all of them will spoil your day in fine style if you stop a round from one.

Your very informed on the subject?

I am looking at a medal (the Donegal Medal) I won 50 years ago as a junior member of Diggle Rifle & Revolver Club, shooting a SMLE .303 with target sights. Of course, the cooler kids had already gone metric (7.62mm). Was a great hobby I shared with my dad - keep thinking I should maybe get back into target shooting.

Archived