Athol Street police presence

manx-person

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

This thread is like listening to teenagers talking about some PlayStation game

Sad that people are talking about effective ways of killing real people.

This from somebody who got on a high horse because another poster didn't like certain topics. So from now on shall we run topics past you to see if you are comfortable with them?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

This thread is like listening to teenagers talking about some PlayStation game

Sad that people are talking about effective ways of killing real people who are trying to kill you....

Fixed!

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

Not sure if that's true. After all, the gimpy is still in use how many years after it was first issued?

In my youth I played a trumpet. I was petty crap I have to admit but it provided me with the  finger control to double tap and play rhythms all day and occasionally all night long (lots of 1 to 4, and occasionally 1 to 1 tracer) 

3 hours ago, manx-person said:

The vibrant Manx media are waiting for a press release before they report it ;-)

A colleague rang the Police and asked why they were there - They were told they were there for "operational reasons" - I'm much happier knowing that.

The worry would be that they were there for non-operational reasons !

With all due respect mate what was your colleague expecting to be told? 

No need to show any respect to me. I don’t know what he expected to be asked -  you’d need to ask him.

its a little odd though for armed police to be outside your office for a number of days without explanation don’t you think ?

if there was the necessity for armed officers to be positioned for a number of days isn’t there also a risk to those members of the public  in the vicinity and perhaps they should be told - maybe they would have not had their staff in the office?

We get safety advice from the police on lots of things but not on this?

12 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

With all due respect mate what was your colleague expecting to be told?

The attitude on you!  Do you not think it prudent that they give a little more reassurance.  Obviously you can't go indepth but these sort of attitudes are why you are constatly fighting a PR battle with the populous.

7 minutes ago, PottyLisa said:

The attitude on you!  Do you not think it prudent that they give a little more reassurance.  Obviously you can't go indepth but these sort of attitudes are why you are constatly fighting a PR battle with the populous.

Attitude? I asked a simple question about what did your colleague expect when they phoned up I'm genuinely interested. Don't see how that could come across as giving off attitude but guess it's all about opinions.

3 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Attitude? I asked a simple question about what did your colleague expect when they phoned up I'm genuinely interested. Don't see how that could come across as giving off attitude but guess it's all about opinions.

Ok, apologies if that was the case. Sometimes it's hard to tell, text and all.

Anyway, what I meant to say was if someone who is in the vicinity of armed police seemingly conducting some kind of operation and they call for more information they're either calling because they're curious or they're concerned.  I think the police have a duty to allay that concern without obviously giving away details.

Surely there must be a better way to frame the answer?

32 minutes ago, manx-person said:

No need to show any respect to me. I don’t know what he expected to be asked -  you’d need to ask him.

its a little odd though for armed police to be outside your office for a number of days without explanation don’t you think ?

if there was the necessity for armed officers to be positioned for a number of days isn’t there also a risk to those members of the public  in the vicinity and perhaps they should be told - maybe they would have not had their staff in the office?

We get safety advice from the police on lots of things but not on this?

maybe a specific individual had received a threat and plod were there to watch out for them.

25 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Thanks @thommo2010 I'm interested as to the circumstances where armed police could be deployed in vehicles for a number of days but those members of the public working in the area were not to be considered at risk.

As they were in marked cars, if the officers had been outside the cars with guns then the public could have made their risk assessment themselves based upon the presence of armed officers - Unless you walked close to the cars and looked in you wouldn't have seen that they were armed.

Just now, manx-person said:

In this case there is also a risk to the general public is there not? I'm struggling to understand this.

why the public?   if person A is only after person B ,  persons C D E etc are not a target and should be in little to no danger  unless one of them is person B's identical twin.

9 minutes ago, WTF said:

why the public?   if person A is only after person B ,  persons C D E etc are not a target and should be in little to no danger  unless one of them is person B's identical twin.

Well guns are dangerous, or more specifically bullets, if person A discharges a weapon at person B, or person B discharges a weapon at person B A, then the bullet could actually harm person C, D, E or even F !

Archived