Rex verdict

hissingsid

But a mistake was not made, the vet did the right thing, the family did not.  What they should have done, I guess, is have the dog assessed and taken the responsible line. 

I do not hate dogs, I have had dogs for a large part of my life, cats for just about all of my life.   When I was first married we were presented with a stray from Croydon. It looked a bit pitbull-like (this was when the breed were first gaining notoriety).  We took it to the vet to assess if it could be a pitbull, he thought it was a staffie cross with greyhound, so a sight hound.  He was a lovely family dog, very even tempered, bidable and protective. That was where the problem was as he went for someone completely out of the blue.  No two ways we could not keep him with young children and cats around. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So you all hate dogs...fair enough but a mistake was made and the family who owned the dog has plenty of reason to pursue the vet who caused all this misery and expense.

I take it you have a blind dog, cause you are not seeing the point.

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

But a mistake was not made, the vet did the right thing, the family did not.  What they should have done, I guess, is have the dog assessed and taken the responsible line. 

I do not hate dogs, I have had dogs for a large part of my life, cats for just about all of my life.   When I was first married we were presented with a stray from Croydon. It looked a bit pitbull-like (this was when the breed were first gaining notoriety).  We took it to the vet to assess if it could be a pitbull, he thought it was a staffie cross with greyhound, so a sight hound.  He was a lovely family dog, very even tempered, bidable and protective. That was where the problem was as he went for someone completely out of the blue.  No two ways we could not keep him with young children and cats around. 

Which, of course, puts the lie to all the dog owners who always claim "It doesn't bite...."  when it's blindingly obvious they ALL bite. That's why they have teeth.

I still just can't believe all the dog owners with young children. A tragedy waiting to happen when the trigger point is reached. Stupid stupid stupid people....

As a general rule, I think pets are good for children and my two (now adults) love the pets we have had and have never had a bad experience.  

But, I do put a caveat on that and after the experience with the lovely Weasle, I would only have an animal that we have had from leaving the litter around children, not a rescue.  You do not know the history or the triggers.  Adults can understand that, little children cannot.  The pets we have had from being kittens or puppies are pretty balanced and they know the boundaries, we know their disposition, and they are very calm and loving animals.  

I have a rescue dog now, she is generally a good dog, but I could not be 100% confident of her; my family is now grown so they understand that and when my granddaughter visits we make sure the greeting is carefully watched and then the dog is ignored. It works. 

The truth is that in all the years I have had dogs, there was that only incident.  It was sad really because we knew the dog was being protective, but you could not have that threat hanging over.  Having done it once, the behaviour could not be guaranteed. 

So, back to Rex, without really knowing the history, I do not think you could have absolute assurance that he would never be a threat, he is a type that has been bred for certain qualities - ignore that at your peril. 

12 hours ago, paswt said:

I'm reminded of a comment a Commanding Officer (Cavalry Regiment  , if memory serves ) who was asked, many times to give a reference for  a  junior officer who was attending a promotions board , he wrote "I would hesitate to breed from this officer":)

Who’d be out of his depth in a car park puddle.

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

So you all hate dogs...fair enough but a mistake was made and the family who owned the dog has plenty of reason to pursue the vet who caused all this misery and expense.

Mistakes were made by the people who brought the dog to the island in the first place. The vet done his job. 

53 minutes ago, Gladys said:

As a general rule, I think pets are good for children and my two (now adults) love the pets we have had and have never had a bad experience.  

But, I do put a caveat on that and after the experience with the lovely Weasle, I would only have an animal that we have had from leaving the litter around children, not a rescue.  You do not know the history or the triggers.  Adults can understand that, little children cannot.  The pets we have had from being kittens or puppies are pretty balanced and they know the boundaries, we know their disposition, and they are very calm and loving animals.  

I have a rescue dog now, she is generally a good dog, but I could not be 100% confident of her; my family is now grown so they understand that and when my granddaughter visits we make sure the greeting is carefully watched and then the dog is ignored. It works. 

The truth is that in all the years I have had dogs, there was that only incident.  It was sad really because we knew the dog was being protective, but you could not have that threat hanging over.  Having done it once, the behaviour could not be guaranteed. 

So, back to Rex, without really knowing the history, I do not think you could have absolute assurance that he would never be a threat, he is a type that has been bred for certain qualities - ignore that at your peril. 

This is why I think the people bringing in strays from Europe are courting trouble.

1 minute ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:
17 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

This is why I think the people bringing in strays from Europe are courting trouble.

Neil did you put down your Daily Mail, shake a raised clenched fist and go GRRRRRRR before typing such a strong and forceful rebuke.

Pure Partridge "Courting Trouble"

Why would any sane person bring in a so called "rescue dog" from anywhere? 

20 minutes ago, Gladys said:

In response to Helmut, we should get our own house in order before importing more.  It is not a grr moment, just common sense. 

Gladys please point out where it states "imported European Rescue dog" 

Or are some pointing fingers.

I agree dog control is essential, it has become very fashionable to have a dog and this will obviously increase numbers of poor owners, poor breeders, and poorly raised dogs.

However this mandatory microchip program is ill timed - any time you put the onus on the user giving a chance to avoid / evade a cost it will not see positive results. 

It is now easier to have an unregistered dog.

Archived