Cycling news

Gizo

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Gizo said:

First bit of sense by our government. £3.8m on cycling and walking. 

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/news/isle-man-launches-38m-active-travelprogramme

An excellent initiative however £3.8m for a Cycling Proficiency initiative seems expensive.

Not sure if the level of expertise is acceptable though...............

I am impressed with the focus placed on bicycle maintenance, and perhaps using the skills of community groups such as Men in Sheds

11 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

An excellent initiative however £3.8m for a Cycling Proficiency initiative seems expensive.

Not sure if the level of expertise is acceptable though...............

I am impressed with the focus placed on bicycle maintenance, and perhaps using the skills of community groups such as Men in Sheds

And how are they spending the £3.8M ? ( all the tax returns are now in, the governmant are now rich, and we  they can spend, spend. spend ) !!!

£3.8M? There will a flurry of expensively remunerated management posts created within DOI to oversee the implementation of this new initiative. Including promotions.

And a few pots of road paint to create cycle lanes.

Lets face facts - cars, bikes and pedestrians do not mix very well. 

Put them together, and you are going to get frustration, road rage, and accidents.

When I used to live across, I had occasion to visit Stevenage quite frequently. They had the problem sorted, there were separate car lanes, bike lanes, and pavements. These were quite separate tracks, with their own kerbs. I believe that Milton Keynes had a similar system.

From what I have seen on recent visits to other parts of England, councils seem to be painting white lines, and then pretending that they have created cycle lanes.

We need to spend real money on building separate cycle tracks. Motorists do not want to share the road with cyclists. Pedestrians do not want to share the pavements with them.

So lets start charging cyclists a realistic 'cycle track tax', and build them their own reserved cycle lanes.

..no hate just can't see how it will work! especially for folk like me, as active as my health and age will allow but still can't walk more than a couple of hundred yards and certainly couldn't cycle anywhere in safety...........In my humble opinion, the IOM roads are too narrow, have too many blind bends and the weather is too wild for bicycles to be particularly safe and healthy.............plus, I really don't need fitness freaks and adrenelin ( don't know how to spell it) junkies to tell me how to stay healthy............my poor health is a consequence of the type of work I did when I was younger and my awareness of how to keep as healthy as I can and medical support is what has enabled me to keep going........I cycled thousands of miles when I was young and was also a champion cross country runner so I am aware of those sports............I would be very pleased to see no more cycle events on open roads, there should be no vehicle racing on open roads only on closed roads..............there you go, now I wonder if the hate will go the other way and the fitness folk will attack me?....

Archived