Government Wages Bill...

La Colombe

49 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

...it does not show where increases have been made in numbers and costs. 

Didn’t you know..? The increase has come in government’s communications unit...that’s why we now all know and understand exactly what’s going on.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Until the figures are broken down showing each departments headcount and figures this does not really mean a lot.   By departments I mean police, fire, hospital, civil servants in government departments etc it does not show where increases have been made in numbers and costs.   It would be a tremendous task and probably cost loads.   I still think if the Health Service was not so unwieldy it would be easier to see just where the money is being spent and make sure the money was spent on front line services.

Actually if you think about it, this should all be information that the Government has readily to hand - and if it doesn't it ought to.  They have dozens of people working in Human Resources and Payroll who ought to have this stuff available immediately for both the current situation and in the immediate past.   Asking for a simple breakdown of a headline figure in the age of computers should need no more work that asking for the headline and cost no more than the extra paper and printer ink.  If there is was additional effort required it would in thinking up excuses why it couldn't be made public.

In fact a lot of information is already available through such publications as the Public Services Commission Annual Report (Piebaps linked to to 2016-17 one on an earlier thread) and through previous answers in Tynwald or the Keys and of course through the Government Accounts.  It would be better to start from what is already available and try to fill in the gaps or pick up anomalies.

That's why it's such a stupid question.  It's not even as if it was an Oral Question where he could ask a follow up to highlight something dodgy or whatever. 

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Until the figures are broken down showing each departments headcount and figures this does not really mean a lot.   By departments I mean police, fire, hospital, civil servants in government departments etc it does not show where increases have been made in numbers and costs.   It would be a tremendous task and probably cost loads.   I still think if the Health Service was not so unwieldy it would be easier to see just where the money is being spent and make sure the money was spent on front line services.

and what gov. funded jobs are not included......

i found reference to 11000+ ps/cs last week.......

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually if you think about it, this should all be information that the Government has readily to hand - and if it doesn't it ought to.  They have dozens of people working in Human Resources and Payroll who ought to have this stuff available immediately for both the current situation and in the immediate past.   Asking for a simple breakdown of a headline figure in the age of computers should need no more work that asking for the headline and cost no more than the extra paper and printer ink.  If there is was additional effort required it would in thinking up excuses why it couldn't be made public.

In fact a lot of information is already available through such publications as the Public Services Commission Annual Report (Piebaps linked to to 2016-17 one on an earlier thread) and through previous answers in Tynwald or the Keys and of course through the Government Accounts.  It would be better to start from what is already available and try to fill in the gaps or pick up anomalies.

That's why it's such a stupid question.  It's not even as if it was an Oral Question where he could ask a follow up to highlight something dodgy or whatever. 

Latest Annual Report is on the Tynwald Order Paper here

I think I could have put it better, for instance the hospital, how much is it costing for front line staff as opposed to clerical and managers.   There has been so much digital stuff introduced surely it does away with some Man power.   A neighbour of mine has an eye problem and has been told he has an 18 month wait before he even gets a first appointment at the eye clinic, this is not acceptable.  I know this is going off topic but until there is a breakdown of how every department is using allocated funds we will be no wiser.    There used to be far more medical staff employed than clerical staff now walking through the hospital it seems to be full of non medical staff.  I don't know what the answer is .

25 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I think I could have put it better, for instance the hospital, how much is it costing for front line staff as opposed to clerical and managers.   There has been so much digital stuff introduced surely it does away with some Man power.   A neighbour of mine has an eye problem and has been told he has an 18 month wait before he even gets a first appointment at the eye clinic, this is not acceptable.  I know this is going off topic but until there is a breakdown of how every department is using allocated funds we will be no wiser.    There used to be far more medical staff employed than clerical staff now walking through the hospital it seems to be full of non medical staff.  I don't know what the answer is .

You just cant let these visitors roam around without scrubs can you eh ?...…………………………………………….;)

On 11/7/2018 at 1:04 PM, thesultanofsheight said:

We’re running a structural deficit as it is currently. As you say next years negotiated pay rise will be in flight so we’ll need to find more magic money to meet magic promises to people who have little concept of our economic reality. Add to that the unfunded pension bill which is due to get close to £90M a year from 2019/20. All this at a time when others are being forced to use Foodbanks and other third sector support mechanisms. The IOM really stinks. 

What about compulsive "Euthanasia" at 55, would that would end the pension bill problem ?

25 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

What about compulsive "Euthanasia" at 55, would that would end the pension bill problem ?

Surely making people pay for their pensions might have been a better idea than euthanasia? Owing people literally billions in future benefits but letting them ‘pay’ in buttons over decades to cover it hasn’t really been a shrewd move has it? 

Archived