Government Wages Bill...

La Colombe

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Continued promotion and pay rise is a human right.

If only. There are those manual workers in the Public Sector who after a continued wage-freeze and increased superannuation contributions, are earning the same if not less than they were five or six years ago. Let's not forget to also direct our ire on our high-earning politicians, buoyed-up with a not inconsiderable yet unaccountable expenses system and that extra ten grand loyalty payment, who up until 'Houghtongate' never contributed, for decades, to the public purse for their sometimes 6-figure retirement luxury. There's a tidy sum right there, over time. Even when our economy was obviously on a downward trend, only the fear of being named and shamed would finally wrack their collective conscience to make them do the right thing. And even then, an over-developed sense of entitlement would see some of our elected representatives reluctant to contribute.

Yet laughably, they 'work' for us...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, quilp said:

If only. There are those manual workers in the Public Sector who after a continued wage-freeze and increased superannuation contributions, are earning the same if not less than they were five or six years ago. Let's not forget to also direct our ire on our high-earning politicians, buoyed-up with a not inconsiderable yet unaccountable expenses system and that extra ten grand loyalty payment, who up until 'Houghtongate' never contributed, for decades, to the public purse for their sometimes 6-figure retirement luxury. There's a tidy sum right there, over time. Even when our economy was obviously on a downward trend, only the fear of being named and shamed would finally wrack their collective conscience to make them do the right thing. And even then, an over-developed sense of entitlement would see some of our elected representatives reluctant to contribute.

Yet laughably, they 'work' for us...

When I left the cops, following the pay freezes, increased pension contributions, and CPI/RPI inflation, I reckoned I was upwards of 15% worse off than where I was in 2009. 

That is purely for illustrative purposes as there were a lot in the public sector similarly affected. I've nothing to complain about either in respect of the remuneration whilst I served or the pension provision thereafter. 

35 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

What's his greatest achievement, reform wise?

I think he'd tell you, "It's ongoing"....

But in a lot more words.

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

c.7,000 PS workers? That's an average of £48,000 per annum!  

As so often it's worth going to the details in the Written Answer to get the actual figure (it's actually from last week's Keys as all'new' seems to be at least a week old):

How many directly employed Government workers there were and how much they cost to employ broken down by (a) 30th September 2016, and (b) 30th September 2018?

The Minister for Policy and Reform (Mr Thomas): At 30th September 2016 there were 7,838 directly employed Government workers with contracted hours. The full employment costs for the month of September 2016 amounted to £25.5 million.

At 30th September 2018 there were 7,850 directly employed Government workers with 360 contracted hours. The full employment costs for the month of September 2018 amounted to £27.7 million.

In both cases, the employment costs exclude expenses but include all other costs such as basic pay, overtime, allowances, employers’ pension and NI contributions.

Note: Figures above exclude Manx Utilities (Electricity) and IOM Post, whose data is not held within the core Government systems.

Moorhouse's question was so loosely drafted that they could have told him anything, so they rather oddly gave him monthly figures.  I reckon this gives an annualised average cost per employee for 2016 of £39,041 and for 2018 of £42,344.  An 8.5% increase over two years.

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Fixed.

Having said that; it's only the 11k-odd Govt and PS employees being paid and recirculating money within the system that's keeping the economy afloat at the moment. With the funding for it obviously coming from reserves and the increasingly put-upon private sector's taxes and rates. How long can that last?

Reduce PS headcount and take that spending away and it puts the whole "growing economy" on the slide. That would take some explaining away.

ETA. Presumably next year's pay increase is in the negotiation stages as well?

We’re running a structural deficit as it is currently. As you say next years negotiated pay rise will be in flight so we’ll need to find more magic money to meet magic promises to people who have little concept of our economic reality. Add to that the unfunded pension bill which is due to get close to £90M a year from 2019/20. All this at a time when others are being forced to use Foodbanks and other third sector support mechanisms. The IOM really stinks. 

No decision on the equality act, still "tinkering" with the eminently suitable UK act to suit "ourselves." When I asked CT on here about what this "tinkering" amounted to and whether he could provide me with an example, he decided to answer my queries via PM. No 'real' clarity came there forth. He is a bright bloke, no doubt intellectually streets ahead of his compadrés.

https://www.mplegal.im/info-centre/news/1-a-on-the-manx-equality-act-2017-the-act

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

As so often it's worth going to the details in the Written Answer to get the actual figure (it's actually from last week's Keys as all'new' seems to be at least a week old):

Moorhouse's question was so loosely drafted that they could have told him anything, so they rather oddly gave him monthly figures.  I reckon this gives an annualised average cost per employee for 2016 of £39,041 and for 2018 of £42,344.  An 8.5% increase over two years.

That an increase in costs though not wages. The wage payments will include Employers National Insurance and the increased pension costs (excluding the black hole).

27 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

We’re running a structural deficit as it is currently. As you say next years negotiated pay rise will be in flight so we’ll need to find more magic money to meet magic promises to people who have little concept of our economic reality. Add to that the unfunded pension bill which is due to get close to £90M a year from 2019/20. All this at a time when others are being forced to use Foodbanks and other third sector support mechanisms. The IOM really stinks. 

I wonder what effect, if any, this is having on the projected draw over the next few years from the reserves? It was projected to fall in some coming years, IIRC.

Then again, they might have been based on Eddie Teare's figures anyway so they'll be complete lies and bollocks.

Archived