Mr Skelly And The TT...

La Colombe

6 minutes ago, Chris C said:

I'm not nearly brave or talented enough to do it. It is taxpayer funded but the death and carnage don't define the event and put into the perspective of the other taxpayer funded activities I mentioned previously it is well down the list if being appalled by such things is your bag. How do you see them Quilp?

I dunno if you can really claim that, a lot of the articles that make it into the UK press during TT week aren't about how good the racing has been or whatever, more TT course claims another life.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I dunno if you can really claim that, a lot of the articles that make it into the UK press during TT week aren't about how good the racing has been or whatever, more TT course claims another life.

That's very true. I don't think it's what defines the event for the competitors, organisers, fans both here and worldwide though. Some maybe, but most no, I really don't think so. An unintended and unwanted consequence for most.

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

Prove it. 

Indeed.  These numbers mean very little.  You only have to open your eyes in TT week though to be aware that the may well be some economic benefit to the event.  Not that I think that defines it either btw.  Nor should it imho.

Just now, Chris C said:

That's very true. I don't think it's what defines the event for the competitors, organisers, fans both here and worldwide though...

So only the positive opinions of the fans, competitors and organisers matter then? World-wide, as in the biking fraternity? That kinda narrows it down a bit. Otherwise hardly anyone knows the Isle of Man and even less for it's infamous TT. 

9 minutes ago, quilp said:

So only the positive opinions of the fans, competitors and organisers matter then? World-wide, as in the biking fraternity? That kinda narrows it down a bit. Otherwise hardly anyone knows the Isle of Man and even less for it's infamous TT. 

Everyone's opinion matters, especially to themselves.  You haven't answered my previous question btw.

2 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

The TT generates over £39 million of economic value to Isle of Man, so it is very very important to our island....... there will always be risks associated with high speed events, but the Isle of Man continues to improve safety each year through training, medical cover, better protection barriers etc etc - but it will never be ZERO risk. 

Graih, Housing Matters, Benefits and the Foodbank are now high priorities of this administration... Tynwald set up a Select Committee recently to look at poverty on the Isle of Man, and it has already taken evidence and held a workshop with the third sector. 

Try to explain that to the widow or children of the dead bikers then. Sure they will be pacified by your words. NOT

Maybe if that task was left to the so called Government officials like you, they would think again about this so called cash cow.

Lip service at best. 

One death was too many. Not long now until we get to 300. In fact with the riders who die after being transferred out, that figure has maybe been passed already.

4 minutes ago, Chris C said:
13 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

But the chart is wrong anyway.

In 2005 3 died in the TT and 6 in the MGP.

The graph does not show that, does it ?

Nor is any source quoted.  Never trust a statistic that you haven't made up yourself. 

Don't know if you are local. I am and I can assure you that at least 9 riders died in 2005. Hope this helps.

And a good few thousand left with varying levels of disablement when they've suddenly run out of the necessary skill to match the encouragement to go as fast as possible they've been impressed with. And will we hear about the outcome of any court cases or settlement of damages without admission of liability in the media? 

Archived