Mr Skelly And The TT...

La Colombe

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There'll be 30+ straight away for the Legislature. Then the flunkies and hangers on. Then the Manx Gas contingent. I bet for the connected fortunates they're chucked round like confetti?

All in a good cause though.

39 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think the normal VIP tickets are around £250 and top level £1,250. They don't seem to be on the website yet.

I'm still confused. I thought we were talking about entrance to the entertainment events (so Reef would be about £20 normally), but this suggests they're talking about a broader package. 

It maybe a case of asking a question badly and getting a bad answer...

"If he will provide, for of each event in 2018 in the Department’s hospitality tent at the Grandstand for 2018 a breakdown of the a) total cost broken down by i) performers; ii) VIP guests; iii) complimentary tickets; iv) catering and refreshments; v) contractors; vi) any delays to racing; and b) overall profit?"

Then getting a bad interpretation from the newspaper. 

They need to publish a P&L for the Hospitality Tent rather than trying to spin the information. 

2 hours ago, Declan said:

Yeah, Hansard presents it differently - 

"The Minister for Enterprise (Mr Skelly):

a) Total costs:

• i) Performers – The cost of bringing the three acts to the TT and Classic TT in 2018 ran to a  total of £52,722.32;
  • ii) VIP guests – The total cost of provision for VIP Guests on race days across both events was £298,124.00, this includes the costs of catering and refreshments, bar provision, management and staffing;
  • iii) Complimentary tickets – the total notional cost for the provision of complimentary tickets across both events in 2018 was £8,625.00;
  • iv) and v) the total cost for the provision across both events in 2018 of catering, refreshments and contractors costs was £418,300.00;
  • vi) As to the total cost of delays to racing, there was no cost attributed to delays in racing as only one delay occurred on the first Saturday of race week when the sidecar race was delayed  until 1900. As the unit closes at 1700 on race days no additional cost was incurred.

b) The direct overall financial profit from the hospitality tent from direct ticket sales alone was £136,832 for the 2018 events, however, there is also a financial benefit that it is not possible to allocate, apart from those tickets that are part of a sponsorship agreement (and included in the calculations), where there is also a significant percentage of sponsorship revenue that would be lost if sponsors did not have ability to access the hospitality unit."

http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/t181211.pdf  (page 49)

I'm confused - is £136,832 revenue from ticket sales or profit?

Thanks Declan

The original post on IOM ONLINE was incorrect, but has now been corrected. 

It is worth noting that the £136,832 profit goes straight back into the event - therefore reducing the Manx taxpayers contribution 

1 minute ago, Rob Callister said:

Thanks Declan

It is worth noting that the £136,832 profit goes straight back into the event - therefore reducing the Manx taxpayers contribution 

Where else would it go to ?

3 hours ago, La Colombe said:

...in the news again.  It's only money. And it is the TT where any sort of accounting seems unnecessary. Just think of the publicity that would have cost, ooh, half a billion? 

The accounting seems fairly clear and the profit fairly substantial.  I take it from the tone and accuracy of your post that you're not too keen on the TT?

6 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

Thanks Declan

Grrr. Corrected to what? It's hardly cleared thing up. And your last sentence can only be described a patronising bullshit. 

8 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

Eh? Do any of you lot ever consider that some of us Manxies are appalled that our tax contributions are used to facilitate certain death and carnage? Never mind the bloody disruption. Is it really ameliorating when our health service delivery is questionable, that we need foodbanks and have increasing numbers of homelessness? 

7 minutes ago, quilp said:

Eh? Do any of you lot ever consider that some of us Manxies are appalled that our tax contributions are used to facilitate certain death and carnage? Never mind the bloody disruption. Is it really ameliorating when our health service delivery is questionable, that we need foodbanks and have increasing numbers of homelessness? 

If you are appalled but your tax contributions being used to facilitate death and carnage then there are far more productive places to be appalled than the TT.

The important words in Rob Callister's post are "the … profit goes straight back into the event - therefore reducing the Manx taxpayers contribution".

So please don't start telling us that the TT makes a profit. It clearly doesn't. The Manx taxpayers have to subsidise it.

The TT is a barbaric anachronism in this day and age. The time has come for the government to stop spending taxpayers money on promoting the annual Festival of Death.

Archived