Mr Skelly And The TT...

La Colombe

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Regardless of what you think

There's no need to be so aggressive. 

You dismiss my comments like a climate change denier dismissing snow in August. But at least they are based on the figures we've been given, because you would much rather believe that made a loss or don't know whether they made a lost. When it's quite clear they are saying they made a profit. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Declan said:

There's no need to be so aggressive. 

You dismiss my comments like a climate change denier dismissing snow in August. But at least they are based on the figures we've been given, because you would much rather believe that made a loss or don't know whether they made a lost. When it's quite clear they are saying they made a profit. 

I wasn’t being aggressive. Maybe I should have used a ;)

I didn’t dismiss your comments either but clearly they don’t possess the data to answer the question put to them honestly so it’s quite easy to assume on that basis they clearly haven’t a clue whether the event, or aspects of the event,  make money or not. You assume the VIP packs were actually sold in your interpretation of the FOI numbers whereas not every person paid the face value price of the VIP tickets. I know that for a fact. So the information given on its own separately, and in reply to this question, does not especially substantiate claims of a profit does it?

52 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Regardless of what you think it all pretty much goes to show that they don’t account for any of it properly and they don’t actually have a bloody clue whether the event makes a profit or not. Or whether individual parts or features of the event make a profit or a loss.

I think they know full well. They just spoon feed the public what they think they can get away with convincing the public of. And why not? At the end of the day it's freebies for "them" and the chance to make wealthy contacts and rub shoulders. All funded by taxpayers in the name of promoting the TT. Funny how it lasted for years and years without a VIP tent.

Who holds them to account? A 3 minute dribble of CS drivel from Lawro in Tynwald that dodged most of the question and that's it.

So the FOI lists six -

Days open

Tickets purchased
02/06/2017
 Purchased 396.
 03/06/2017
Purchased 398 of which 95 were provided as part of event sponsorship agreements.
04/06/2017
Purchased 336.

05/06/2017
Purchased 360 of which 119 were provided as part of event sponsorship agreements.
07/06/2017
Purchased 369 of which 161 were provided as part of event sponsorship agreements.
09/06/2017
Purchased 376 of which 100 were provided as part of event sponsorship agreements.

In my calculation I deducted the sponsorship ones. 

Max suggested you could buy tickets for Reef etc  separate to the VIP packages but these would be on top of what I calculated.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

There are only 4 race days. I don't really know what a VIP package is though, so don't really know whether it is a high figure or not. Did you have to be a VIP to watch Reef?

I am given to understand that the "top VIP package includes a lap of the course in a car on closed roads  for £1250 , a bit of grub and free drinks .

There did seem to be an inordinate no of 'VIP cars'  ( presumably each with 3 paying punters)

Just saying

5 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

Thanks. Seems to me that government can find the resources to upkeep the course, provide funds for this and that for the scared TT cow yet fails spectacularly to motivate itself when it comes to the very local human issues of homelessness, the health service, foodbanks, etc. Is this government ethically and morally sound in its unceasing efforts to facilitate certain death and carnage? I asked you this before but you didn't bother disclosing. Don't you have the slightest personal regard for how a burgeoning number of local people feel about it all? Is it just a matter of the TT at all costs, even if it means guaranteed loss of life or life-changing injuries and its wider consequences for the families of the unfortunates?

You are very publicly enthusiastic, and show no hesitation to voice your opinion on less pressing matters, so what are your personal feelings about it all..?

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Thanks. Seems to me that government can find the resources to upkeep the course, provide funds for this and that for the scared TT cow yet fails spectacularly to motivate itself when it comes to the very local human issues of homelessness, the health service, foodbanks, etc. Is this government ethically and morally sound in its unceasing efforts to facilitate certain death and carnage? I asked you this before but you didn't bother disclosing. Don't you have the slightest personal regard for how a burgeoning number of local people feel about it all? Is it just a matter of the TT at all costs, even if it means guaranteed loss of life or life-changing injuries and its wider consequences for the families of the unfortunates?

You are very publicly enthusiastic, and show no hesitation to voice your opinion on less pressing matters, so what are your personal feelings about it all..?

The TT generates over £39 million of economic value to Isle of Man, so it is very very important to our island....... there will always be risks associated with high speed events, but the Isle of Man continues to improve safety each year through training, medical cover, better protection barriers etc etc - but it will never be ZERO risk. 

Graih, Housing Matters, Benefits and the Foodbank are now high priorities of this administration... Tynwald set up a Select Committee recently to look at poverty on the Isle of Man, and it has already taken evidence and held a workshop with the third sector. 

9 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

there will always be risks associated with high speed events, but the Isle of Man continues to improve safety each year

Are you sure about that? Because the number of riders killed or seriously injured doesn't seem to be going down. 

23 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

The TT generates over £39 million of economic value to Isle of Man...

So it's about the money then. The first thing you import to the discussion. The rest of what you just posted is predicable political double-speak. It's obvious to everyone the risks will never, ever be surmounted and the death rate and carnage will be allowed to continue unabated, as will the facilitation of the event by a government seemingly interested only in the returns. 

Graih, Housing Matters, Benefits and the Foodbank are now high priorities of this administration... Tynwald set up a Select Committee recently... 

Only very, very recently, when the problems of poverty, homelessness and the need for foodbanks have existed but wilfully ignored for at least a decade. The fact that these organisations have to exist at all on this supposedly prosperous little rock is pretty damning, especially as we're led to believe resources are scarce.

Once again I'll ask you, what are your thoughts on the burgeoning number of Manxies who feel it's gone too far? That the price of life has been cheapened by the pursuit of financial interest and global exposure. Do their feelings and conscience not matter as to how their taxes are used to produce a seriously dangerous and usually fatal event?

The benefits of the TT and MGP cost little if anything financially, some money goes out and a bigger amount comes in. Many of the costs are wooden dollars as departments charge each other for services rendered. The human cost is well known and has been since 1911, that doesn't stop people entering and trying to enter.

Is it that people suddenly are unwilling to put up with a little disruption, which isn't anything compared to trying to get to work and home from say Manchester every single day of your life! It's been part of the life of the island since 1907, you'd think people would be used to it by now! At least it brings some life to an otherwise dreary backwater. 

Archived