Don't worry - Howard has our back..

Manx Bean

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just means that someone else could be able to have access to all Isle of Man internet traffic which all passes at some point through MT.

Given the choice I'd prefer to trust the Chinese than some local (authorised) crooks with access to my data. But of course, there isn't a choice.

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

What he means is, we'll do what the UK do!

Or I suppose they could let our own experts spend huge amounts of time and money monitoring the situation, yes that sounds like a better idea! 

Time to employ some consultants...

https://www.manxtelecom.com/about/media/press-releases-2013/2153-manx-telecom-partners-with-huawei-on-4g-network

Details
Published: 13 November 2013

Manx Telecom will partner with leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider Huawei to deliver its 4G LTE mobile broadband network. In addition to building the network’s infrastructure, Huawei will also supply the latest 4G devices to the Manx Telecom portfolio, enabling its customers to take advantage of super-fast services with increased mobile broadband speeds several times faster than current 3G services. Huawei will also update Manx Telecom’s 2G & 3G networks to the latest generation technology, improving performance across the entire mobile network.

Mike Dee, Manx Telecom CEO, commented:

”Building a 4G network is a significant undertaking in terms of both investment and engineering. Over the next three years we will invest £10million in 4G and we are very excited to announce our partnership with Huawei. We have selected the best supplier, and the most advanced solution, which offers the flexibility we require to ensure that we can continue to offer our customers a world class service. With our long history of pioneering mobile technology, and the wealth of expertise and experience which Huawei will provide, we are confident that our customers will experience the very best that 4G has to offer. They can rest assured that we will continue to provide the Island’s best mobile service and coverage, just as they have come to expect and enjoy with Manx Telecom’s leading 3G service.”

4G – or Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology – offers the potential to provide mobile broadband with speeds comparable to those currently only available on fixed line broadband. Huawei will deliver and integrate 4G LTE base stations into Manx Telecom’s existing mobile network utilising Huawei's cutting-edge SingleRAN LTE solution which will enable a wide variety of high-performance mobile applications and multimedia services, including video calling and conferencing, high-definition content transmissions such as live TV streaming, high-speed video downloads and uploads, and faster access to social networking platforms. To date, Huawei has won 217 commercial 4G network contracts and deployed 102 commercial 4G networks worldwide. With a global business footprint on 6 continents, Huawei 4G covers more than 100 capital cities and nine global financial centres. Victor Zhang, Chief Executive Officer Huawei UK, said:

“I’m very pleased to announce our partnership with Manx Telecom. They have a reputation for delivering innovative services to their customers and Huawei is honoured to have been selected to build Manx Telecom’s 4G LTE network. As a global leader in 4G LTE, we offer Manx Telecom the world’s most deployed and advanced mobile communications solution.”

Mr Dee added that as well as being good news for Manx Telecom customers, the 4G network constructed in collaboration with Huawei would also bring many advantages to the Isle of Man economy.

Chief Minister Hon Allan Bell MHK commented:

“A world class telecoms infrastructure is always high on the list of priorities for inward investors, so it’s vitally important that the Isle of Man keeps pace with other leading jurisdictions by introducing 4G. I welcome the news that Manx Telecom plans to launch its 4G network next year, and that they are collaborating with a world class 4G technology provider.”

Manx Telecom’s 4G network will be deployed in the 800 and 1800 MHz frequency ranges, meaning customers can buy “4G ready” smartphones from now. The network will be launched in the first half of 2014 and tariff plans, as well as further details on coverage, will be announced in the New Year.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I could not give a flying .... who has my details they would be bored stiff before they finished reading them....nothing to hide.

What if you were in business and discussing matters via emails, including prices etc? What if you were involved in a legal case and the other side had access to all your communications etc.

Isle of Man - where if you know the right people - You Can

34 minutes ago, gettafa said:

What if you were in business and discussing matters via emails, including prices etc? What if you were involved in a legal case and the other side had access to all your communications etc.

Isle of Man - where if you know the right people - You Can

Most businesses assume the Internet is not a trusted medium. That's why there is a pervasive use of encryption; SSL on websites, VPN to access the workplace and TLS for e-mails sent between servers.

This whole thing around Huawei is primarily politically motivated, and not necessarily just because the Chinese may spy. Leading US vendors like Juniper and Cisco, who have a far greater market share in the West, have had instances of backdoors associated with the NSA. Juniper and Cisco have had their share of backdoors, see here and here.

One theory is that Huawei is potentially outside the influence of the US and thus it makes tampering and thus state-sponsored surveillance harder to achieve. 

Huawei shipped 54.2 million Smartphones in Q2 2018... IF the Chinese wanted to spy on us, they already are... 

You're right though. The mobile infrastructure and many upstream optical transmission systems, both here and the UK all use Huawei. The equipment is very good, reliable and cost effective. I have not seen a confirmed backdoor in Huawei Equipment (and they are subject to GHCQ audits), whilst I have seen several with other vendors, associated with the Snowden papers.

Its all very political, smoke and mirrors etc. The hysteria perpetuated by the US must be damaging their company as people react in a kneejerk manner.

48 minutes ago, joeyconcrete said:

Its all very political, smoke and mirrors etc. The hysteria perpetuated by the US must be damaging their company as people react in a kneejerk manner.

The hysteria is, to date, notably largely confined to the Five Eyes club of intelligence sharing countries. The rest of the world is not stupid and in the medium term this may play to Huawei's favour. Many countries are more concerned about being spied upon or held to cyber-ransom by the USA than they are by China. 

22 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

Many countries are more concerned about being spied upon or held to cyber-ransom by the USA than they are by China. 

Absolutely - I know some Huawei engineers who’ve been involved in some humongous build outs everywhere except the US. It’s just disappointing so many seize upon the press and opt for a ‘trusted’ US vendor who may have had several proven backdoors and no where near the same scrutiny! 

Archived