Over £80K of heroin found on Island in 3 weeks

LightBulb

Reminds me of the time, back 2000-ish when then Deputy(?) HB Michael Moyle commented during the sentencing of a dealer that the Island "had a major drugs problem". Widely reported it was.

A couple of days later, then CM Donald Gelling went public and stated that no such problem existed on the Island.

Now who would be best placed to know?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gizo said:

Port Erin isn’t called Port Heroin for a laugh you know.  

It was a more-or-less all Island phenomenon, but certainly in Port Erin in the early '80s a lot of the younger people left the Island to find work. It left a void in the social make-up of the village and shit moved in, and stayed.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Reminds me of the time, back 2000-ish when then Deputy(?) HB Michael Moyle commented during the sentencing of a dealer that the Island "had a major drugs problem". Widely reported it was.

A couple of days later, then CM Donald Gelling went public and stated that no such problem existed on the Island.

Now who would be best placed to know?

From what I've seen and heard, maybe DG. :o

I think there's been too much emphasis placed on trying to catch kids with some dope or pills on them when the evil of Heroin has been allowed to take hold! Of course the old chestnut about recreational drugs being a gateway to the hard stuff is what has driven the policy but that just hasn't proven to be the case. In the 90s and Noughties there was a lot of stuff floating about with a huge number of young people partaking at weekends. They have all mostly grown up to be responsible citizens with many in quite influential positions. None, or very very few of them are Heroin addicts. We need to come down hard on those who put this stuff under the noses of people on this island.  

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

Does anyone know where the party is ?

Parties stopped when drugs took over.

Well, they have 'parties' if you call a handful of druggies in a clique sharing whatever they have managed to obtain.

Parties used to be spontaneous events, and in the outlying towns and villages (ie not Douglas) if there was a party then there was open house. There just was. On a weekend night there would usually be a choice of parties so they usually found their own respective crowds. It was the extension to the pub.

There is little respect for others amongst druggies and they are not the sort of people you would want on your property uninvited. A generalisation but a fair one.

The parties I remember from my teenage/early twenties tailed off. And yes, in one way or another I largely blame the proliferation of illegal drugs for that.

50 minutes ago, Max Power said:

They have all mostly grown up to be responsible citizens with many in quite influential positions. None, or very very few of them are Heroin addicts. We need to come down hard on those who put this stuff under the noses of people on this island.  

Coke is a different matter though. Still lots of functional (and successful / rich) cokeheads floating around in certain circles. 

Yet another friend of mine from years gone by. he also has a young daughter that i know of, possibly other children?

Its such a sad waste of life and heartache for the family. He had a loving family who have had to endure his path.

When kenny was young he was an amazing footballer. Very skillful an a total waste of talent, like many lads from his era/age group.

Another lost soul x

23 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Coke is a different matter though. Still lots of functional (and successful / rich) cokeheads floating around in certain circles. 

Drugs, even heroin, only becomes a problem when the user can't afford it. Plenty of rich smackheads who functional passably well on their habit.

Shame if it is. Great bloke, proper Manx fella... Him being the river warden, and me being a new face up the reservoir, he politely asked for my permit and wanted to see my kit to check I was fully up to scratch on the rules. One rule was the possesion of a cosh, or 'priest' to 'humanely' kill the catch (something about delivering the last rites). I was stuck for what to use, thought about knocking one up out of summat in the shed. Then I had a brainwave. Upstairs in the drawer lay a 9" chromium-plated dildo, almost as thick as my wrist and bought, er, on a whim. Heavy, and truncheon-esque it had a slip-proof handle and would've pole-axed a Fresian bull so in the bag it went and off to rezzy was I.

All tooled-up, lol. 

I shall never forget that look on his face (there may also have been an almost imperceptible sharp intake of breath) when I pulled it out of the bag and showed it to him. He gazed at it in wide-eyed wonder, turning it round and around, his polished-chrome reflection staring back at him, mirrored in a grotesque, wide-angle image.

"I've seen some things in my time!" he said and with a wry old smile he dropped it back in the bag, bade me farewell and squelched off in his wellies, head down, shoulders shaking, a barely audible chuckle...

Yeah. Good bloke. 

Archived