Cherry Orchard to become retail outlet

Major Rushen

Wouldn't it be easier to find somewhere to park nearby to just pop into the COOP at the Cherry Orchard site?

There's as many spaces directly in front of the building. Plus a car park at the rear and space over the road at the old bus station and the shoprite car park. Plus you wouldn't be exiting into a narrow one-way road with pedestrians and buses. 

And if you had parked for another reason on Station Road and needed something from the COOP the Cherry Orchard is less than a minutes walk away. I think that extra inconvenience would be worth bearing for a larger product range and a more pleasant shopping experience. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Declan said:

Wouldn't it be easier to find somewhere to park nearby to just pop into the COOP at the Cherry Orchard site?

There's as many spaces directly in front of the building. Plus a car park at the rear and space over the road at the old bus station and the shoprite car park. Plus you wouldn't be exiting into a narrow one-way road with pedestrians and buses. 

And if you had parked for another reason on Station Road and needed something from the COOP the Cherry Orchard is less than a minutes walk away. I think that extra inconvenience would be worth bearing for a larger product range and a more pleasant shopping experience. 

Well I don't.

If I'm going to park by Chequers I might as well go to Shoprite with a vastly greater product range and a trolley and coffee shop to make it a more pleasant shopping experience.

Personally I'm sorry that The Cherry Orchard has ended up the way it has. Not exactly progress is it?

There is a patch of land by the old bus stop owned by shoprite fenced off. Been like that as long as I can remember. I'd like the commissioners to ask shoprite if they could clear it up a bit, take down the fences and put in some picnics tables/benches. Existing PE staff to look after it costing Shoprite nothing but doing good for the town. Its such a small, cheap and simple change but in my view valuable.

32 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

There is a patch of land by the old bus stop owned by shoprite fenced off. Been like that as long as I can remember. I'd like the commissioners to ask shoprite if they could clear it up a bit, take down the fences and put in some picnics tables/benches. Existing PE staff to look after it costing Shoprite nothing but doing good for the town. Its such a small, cheap and simple change but in my view valuable.

What about the liability insurance they would have to get?

5 hours ago, P.K. said:

Well I don't.

If I'm going to park by Chequers I might as well go to Shoprite with a vastly greater product range and a trolley and coffee shop to make it a more pleasant shopping experience.

What if you want fruit and veg though?

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

What for? Is there liability insurance for the benches on the front by that pile of quartz? Big cliff there, dangerous, someone might fall. 

What's in it for Shoprite?

They would have to pay for the groundwork. Public amenities like benches will be expensive because they will have to meet certain standards. There is absolutely no way that their staff would have anything to do with maintenance because it's not what they signed up for. So it would have to be no doubt an approved third party. Loads of cost and admin charges and for what? Somewhere to sit while waiting to use the bus stop lavvies?

I don't think you've thought this through....

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

What's in it for Shoprite?

They would have to pay for the groundwork. Public amenities like benches will be expensive because they will have to meet certain standards. There is absolutely no way that their staff would have anything to do with maintenance because it's not what they signed up for. So it would have to be no doubt an approved third party. Loads of cost and admin charges and for what? Somewhere to sit while waiting to use the bus stop lavvies?

I don't think you've thought this through....

You're a miserable bastard. Just leave it as a fenced off shit tip eh?

23 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You're a miserable bastard. Just leave it as a fenced off shit tip eh?

Au contraire mon ami.

I'm a firm believer in the maxim "There are enough miserable bastards in the world without adding to them..."

Amen to that.

But I'm also a pragmatist.

As you clearly feel strongly about it why don't you form a "Friends of the PE shit tip" or similar. A group of like-minded concerned citizens who would be happy to organise working parties to do the groundwork etc etc and you could lobby Shoprite and the Commissioners for funding and approval and so forth and feel good about yourselves when it all comes to fruition. You know, like "Beach Buddies".

Have you noticed how folks have lots of good ideas as long as it involves others funding it and doing the grafting?

Me too....

Archived