Airport Technology Gateway

Andy Onchan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, asitis said:

Airport Tech Gateway .........   wonder if anyone will sell radars ?   LOL

Yes....I wonder if the "compliance" being touted for the latest expenditure includes a modern radar that doesn't take 8 years to be brought into service? Has the new turkey even been signed off yet?

Larger aircraft indeed....best get an extension on the extension then....more rock please, Norway.

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes....I wonder if the "compliance" being touted for the latest expenditure includes a modern radar that doesn't take 8 years to be brought into service? Has the new turkey even been signed off yet?

Larger aircraft indeed....best get an extension on the extension then....more rock please, Norway.

The airport a shining bastion of financial prudence.

I wrote a short paper (an MHK would call it 'a vision document') a few years ago about encouraging general aviation (GA) at Reynoldsway and had a meeting with the two CoMin members most likely to progress it.

There are a few light aircraft based here but very few GA visitors. Being bang centre of the British Isles we're in a fabulous position to welcome people going to and from the UK and Ireland, and I reckon the demographic of visitors would yield a few who might even move (or move their money) here. All it would take is a bit of enthusiasm from IOMG and the airport management, with a bit of PR in the GA media and some 'IOM Fly In' events with reduced rate landing fees and maybe even cut price AVGAS (subject to conditions like perhaps spending a night here). You could make all of July GA-friendly, between TT and MGP.

The two Ministers were most keen to boost tourism and do (for next to nothing) with the airport what they're spending millions doing at the harbours with these dubious marina schemes.

Sadly, after years of waiting expectantly, it seems my ideas have been consigned to Fork Hall. We have a wonderful (albeit expensive) facility at EGNS, but for much of the year it's a ghost town with tumbleweed rolling down the runways instead of light aircraft.

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Signed off at the end of last year.

Very, very quietly....

18 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I wrote a short paper (an MHK would call it 'a vision document') a few years ago about encouraging general aviation (GA) at Reynoldsway and had a meeting with the two CoMin members most likely to progress it.

There are a few light aircraft based here but very few GA visitors. Being bang centre of the British Isles we're in a fabulous position to welcome people going to and from the UK and Ireland, and I reckon the demographic of visitors would yield a few who might even move (or move their money) here. All it would take is a bit of enthusiasm from IOMG and the airport management, with a bit of PR in the GA media and some 'IOM Fly In' events with reduced rate landing fees and maybe even cut price AVGAS (subject to conditions like perhaps spending a night here). You could make all of July GA-friendly, between TT and MGP.

The two Ministers were most keen to boost tourism and do (for next to nothing) with the airport what they're spending millions doing at the harbours with these dubious marina schemes.

Sadly, after years of waiting expectantly, it seems my ideas have been consigned to Fork Hall. We have a wonderful (albeit expensive) facility at EGNS, but for much of the year it's a ghost town with tumbleweed rolling down the runways instead of light aircraft.

Would new fangled air taxi things fit into the scope of GA?

We are at the very centre of the British Isles with so many major cities within 100 miles or so

atmaxresdefault.jpg

On 2/24/2019 at 6:59 AM, Lxxx said:

Clearly a very smooth talking wealthy businessman has been in the ear of one or two elected officials and bamboozled them on this one. 

Jackson's only had a smooth path cleared for them because Bill Mummery was complaining that he had to take his Bentley off the island for service and repairs! Now they almost have a total monopoly and I wonder what will happen when they pull the plug? 

49 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Jackson's only had a smooth path cleared for them because Bill Mummery was complaining that he had to take his Bentley off the island for service and repairs! Now they almost have a total monopoly and I wonder what will happen when they pull the plug? 

You’re not a car dealer by any chance are you Max? 

On 2/23/2019 at 10:36 PM, Non-Believer said:

I see that there's also a further £5.6M earmarked for the airport itself to ensure that "it remains compliant for the larger aircraft types now favoured by their operators".

We're still going for the 747s and 380s then?

Aren`t we / or wheren`t we supposed to be the fifth likeliest nation to go into space , if that is the case then we will need that investment and more, to launch "Manx Lab" the new space station at Ronaldsway ( Could Ann Reynolds be the next / first Manx Astronuat ) ?

Archived