Manx students go on strike

SJR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/15/2019 at 11:25 PM, dilligaf said:

I can remember being 15 and thinking I knew better than the "older people" :thumbsup:

I also remember doing cross country and getting my ciggies and matches wet crossing the effing river at Port  E Chee several times each term :angry:

I always thought I knew best. Haven't changed, I guess, but I was certainly never that biddable at any age.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:28 AM, Rushen Spy said:

We don't want "democracy". That's nothing more than communist dictatorship. What we want and should be is a constitutional republic.

Democracy is the art of having and keeping a subject people firm in the belief that it's all being done in their name. Saves a lot of tiresome rebellion and mess on the streets.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:04 PM, SJR said:

When the population of the World is expected to grow by 25% over the next few years and the Clowns in Tynwald want our Island to take in 50% more people surely the time has come to restrict population growth.Cause and effect...Just a thought...

Spot on globally of course. Apparently it isn't politically correct to mention the elephant in the room. I presume this is because some ethnicities breed more prolifically than others and we wouldn't want to offend them. Strange because those in countries with the highest birth rates are first in the firing line when it comes to the effects. Instead, we talk about totally unachievable changes to lifestyle and eating habits over a couple of decades that everyone pays lip service to, but nobody has the slightest intention of adopting for themselves. If they are serious about emissions, why not have the debate about global population control and put some resources behind that?

7 hours ago, woolley said:

Spot on globally of course. Apparently it isn't politically correct to mention the elephant in the room. I presume this is because some ethnicities breed more prolifically than others and we wouldn't want to offend them. Strange because those in countries with the highest birth rates are first in the firing line when it comes to the effects. 

Actually there's no evidence that there's any link between ethnic group and family size.  People from one ethnic group who move to a country which is predominantly inhabited by another tend to adjust their  family sizes to that of the locals, usually by the next generation[1].   This is because family size is dictated by practicalities: availability of contraception and abortion; provision of suitable housing; the possibility of childcare so women can work outside the home.  It's true that there are certain religious sects that tend to encourage large families (Hassidic Jews, Mormons, some US Evangelicals) but they tend to be minorities within their countries.

In fact fertility rates have halved worldwide since 1960, though this has not been the same in all countries.  It has fallen more in East Asia (especially of course China), in South America (especially Brazil) and most of the larger Islamic countries (Indonesia, Iran, Bangladesh).  It's gone down less in Europe where family size was already comparatively low.  But the decline in Africa has been disappointing, which is what I think you are referring to.

The reasons for this are complex, but I think relate to the way that health care is delivered there.  Much of it has been traditionally religious-based, originating in the activity of missionaries.  For many of these contraception and especially abortion are seen as forbidden, even when contraception is allowed it tends to be seen as ungodly or at least not to be a high priority.  What secular and state-provided alternatives have existed have been hit hard over the last three or four decades by demands from lending institutions, such as the IMF, that such facilities should be cut back, charged for or privatised.  So things such as free contraception tend either to be out of reach or unaffordable[2].  And where money is short and health care has to be paid for, treating what ailments you already have tends to take priority over preventative measures. 

And aid organisations tend to concentrate on things that save children's lives (vaccination, clean water, anti-malaria) rather than stopping more being born.  Partly because they see that as the most urgent thing, but they will also be scared of offending powerful donors[3].  So it may well be true that 'political correctness' is stopping certain things being discussed with regard to population growth, but it is right-wing political correctness, driven by the sensitivities of capitalist investors and powerful religious groups.  But you won't find out about it in the papers[4] who want instead to blame it on people for being black or Muslim or whatever.

[1]  This may work both ways - it would be interesting to say if those moving to a country with a higher birthrate (such as the UK) from say Poland increase their average family side. 

[2]  If you think about the resistance that there was to the recent abortion bill from the health bureaucrats, you can see the mindset that stops these things being provided for free.

[3]  Trump of course has completely stopped funding to any aid organisation that has any links to abortion, but there were a lot of restrictions on such work already, going back to Reagan and before.

[4]  Strange isn't how the people who complain that "You can't talk about X, nowadays" usually do so in mass-circulation newspapers?

When I read these kids were "going on strike" I initially thought it was some kind of joke. The fact that their actions were supported by two of our Government's Ministers supported my theory. I mean, shitting hell. What is going on?? We have enough issues with this snowflake generation as it is, without letting them bunk off school and stand outside Tynwald with placards. Seriously, WTAF??!!

If they want to protest about the climate (which is laudable, even though there is absolutely jack shit we can really do to make a genuine change - has anyone actually seen the size of the Isle of Man on a World Atlas compared to the likes of China, Russia, India and USA?), then please let them do it on a Saturday or even Sunday. But no, they can't do Saturday because Tiffany must go to have her manicure and Tarquin has Rugby and his sports massage - and Sunday - well, no chance of surfacing before noon. Maybe they should also consider giving up overseas holidays travelling on those nasty jet aircraft - yes, that includes the shopping trips with Mummy to Liverpool or the odd week in Austria on their snowboard break.

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE. I'm actually wrong, aren't I? Its not the kids we need to blame, its the feeble parenting we need to focus on. In my day, Parents were parents and children were children. Grown-up, child. Discipline or consequence. Today, in many cases that (I am very afraid) has turned to shit.

It's official then - The lunatics have finally taken over the asylum. Schoolkids going on strike (where's the cain when you need it) and now this

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47314&headline=Ramsey%20PCs%20are%20thanked%20for%20investigation&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

getting put forward for an award for doing their bloody jobs... I assumed that's what they are getting paid for

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

It's official then - The lunatics have finally taken over the asylum. Schoolkids going on strike (where's the cain when you need it) and now this

ND , I think you may find it's a 'cane'  and these days schoolteachers are not "able" to use it :flowers::D ( as they were in biblical times)

I'll get my coat 

1 hour ago, paswt said:

ND , I think you may find it's a 'cane'  and these days schoolteachers are not "able" to use it :flowers::D ( as they were in biblical times)

I'll get my coat 

damn these fat fingers of mine....

Archived